Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,669   Online: 1197

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Waxing Nostalgic (Photo Essay of Sorts)

I've tried to sell my Nikon FE many, many times here and I'm starting to notice something: even though I always have it at a reasonable price, it never sells. I'm not lamenting this. I'm actually thinking that maybe there's a reason. The camera gods seem to want me to keep this camera, and probably for good reason.

This was my first real 35mm camera. I don't count the Minolta Maxxum QTsi that I had before it, mainly because it did everything for you. It was mainly a point and shoot with interchangeable lenses. The FE helped me look at things in a different way. It taught me the relationship between aperture and shutter speed for the first time and it taught me the value of purely manual focus as well. Most importantly, this is the camera that taught me to love film.

This is the camera that taught me that holding a camera in low light can be a challenge, but that as long as you have a steady hand you'll be okay.

This is the camera that, before rangefinders, taught me that I should carry it around everywhere just in case the moment would show itself.

This is the camera that taught me that something as simple as a drip of water could be an interesting subject.

This is the camera that taught me that something ugly could be seen as something beautiful if the focus was just right.

This is the camera that taught me appreciation for black and white film.

And the simple things in life.

This is the camera that taught me appreciation for everything about photography.

So this is my ode to the Nikon FE that I put through its paces in the 4 or so years I've had one. I know it isn't the equipment you use that makes the photograph, but this camera deserves at least part of the credit for teaching me so many things.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I actually thought your price was too low for an FE with that lens, but I don't need another Nikon (unless it's an F3, maybe, and then only after I unload the FG or FM10). But you definitely should keep it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm really starting to think I should. Going back and looking through the old photos makes me realize that I love the combo.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the FE2, and it has become my favorite SLR. Plus you could add a motor drive for a pittance to shoot action when you want.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have the camera that I bought when I was 11. Minolta Hi-Matic 9. I still use it, not as much as I used to. It sits next to a Black Nikon SP in my camera drawer. Place of honor, 40 years after buying it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just pulled the ad. I think I've done the right thing. Some things really are too important to just let go.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Stephanie,

FWIW, there is little (maybe no) money to be had these days in selling some classic SLR gear.

There are still a few million closets in America wherein there are stashed some "boomer's" SLR (I can say this because I'm a "boomer") and she/he is only now going to find it and put it on eBay 'cause it's time to retire, sell the house and just use that "cute little digi P&S" to shoot the grandkids.

So, yes, enjoy the FE. Life will bring you riches such that you'll forget why you ever wanted to sell it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That's the smartest thing you've told me in the time I've know you, George.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you for the beautiful photo essay and great ode to your Nikon FE, Stephanie. I'm a firm believer that anything which has so much sentimental value shouldn't be sold at any cost.

I've learned (through the hard and long way) that money isn't everything in life, and there's more important things than money out there like God, relationships (especially my fiancee), lessons in life, life-changing memories, etc. which are infinitely more important than all the money in the world.

Shooter
    35mm
    I love that first photo, especially the reflections of the tree branches in the puddles.

What speed film were you using, and what were your exposure settings?

Mike
    "You must have hated that moose."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin