Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,156   Online: 814

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Canon T90 won't fire at all.

I just bought a really mint condition Canon T90 with a bunch of Canon FD lenses. The lenses work properly on my AE-1, so I know they are OK. But the T90 won't shoot at all. The film loads, the counter shows number 1, the battery check is OK, the LCD window shows all the functions, etc. Each time the back door is opened and closed the film advances to number 1.

I pushed the rewind switch inside the control panel; nothing. The shutter curtains appear perfect. The depth-of-field works. The mirror remains down and the shutter release button seems to make contact ok, but the mirror doesn't fly up and the shutter remains closed. The self-timer counts down OK, but still no shutter release. The mirror is not stuck, because I can gently lift it from the bottom with my fingertip.

Oh, one more thing: the film sprocket/roller near the take-up side is freewheeling all the time.

Any suggestions before I send it to a repair service?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The T-90 is notorious for dying when not used. There are lots of motors and electronics in there and it seems prone to dying when neglected. Search on photo.net or APUG for T-90 and you'll have lots of possible issues/remedies.

Shooter
    35mm
    Have you tried slapping the camera against your hand while holding the shutter button down, make sure you do it with out a lense on so there's less resistence on the motors. Does the LCD display anything when you press the shutter? like eee or something?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've taken this from the Newton Ellis's site:

"Canon T90 - Shutter not firing: - Quite common, the release mechanism requires repair and adjustments."

Looks like you might need to put the camera in the shop.

Brian

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a couple T90's and this type of thing has happened a couple times to me including this past Monday. I load the film and I can hear it advance and the counter goes to "1" but the shutter won't fire. When I open and close the back and it does it again.

I have found that sometimes I need to pull the leader out so it goes beyond the orange line and then it will take up the film. Btw, when this happens, at the bottom of the lcd, the image that represent the canister and film keeps flashing. It stops flashing when the film is loaded right.

I have had these for 4 or 5 years and a couple hundred rolls and I always think "wtf" when it happens. Add to that it sounds like the film loaded. Sometimes it takes a few times opening and pulling more film out and closing the door to fix it. I know it sounds simple but the first time it happened to me I thought the worst too. Hope this is what is going on with yours.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know if this has any bearing on you're problem, but I remember from the days I used to sell the T90 that the cameras have an internal lithium battery that is not user replaceable that was supposed to have a ten year life, unfortunately I cant recall what it powered.
    Ben

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin