Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,903   Online: 1076

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    In most 35 mm cameras made since around 1950, the Kodak Retina and Agfa Karat perhaps excepted, the leaf shutter is a sign of a low-end camera.
    Don't forget Voigtlander: some of the best-made 35mm cameras (and best lenses) ever to be graced by leaf shutters. Prominent, Vitessa...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    No. What's the point of having a proprietary mount that isn't proprietary?
    Isn't the Leica M mount an example of a once proprietary mount shared by any number of camera and lens makers?

How about all those after-market Vivitar, Tamaron, Sigma, etc lenses and cameras that work with what was/is major camera maker's top of the line products?

It may be that I'm wrong, but there seems to have been a lot of cross over manufacture of photographic gear, yesteryear and today and asking questions like
    Are there non-Topcon cameras that will take these lenses?
    is a good way to find out what might be out there.

Eli

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about all those after-market Vivitar, Tamaron, Sigma, etc lenses and cameras that work with what was/is major camera maker's top of the line products?

My guess is that both Topcon and Kowa were not made in large numbers and making a lens for leaf shutter 35mm was very differnt form a lens designed for a focal plane shutter. As a result they were unable to use a common lens that could be mounted on many differnt camera mounts or use a T 2 or T 4 adaptor. I think there were aftermarket lens made for the D and Super D.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks Paul. I was using these simply as an example and as I'm still learning about Topcon 35mm kit, I am still learning about the Exakta mount cameras, etc, all of which is new to me.

By-the-way, I do own one Topcon leaf shutter camera already, a Sawyer's Mark IV but that little gem is 127, not 35mm format.

Eli

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, Eli, and the Primo Jr. is a fixed lens TLR, not an interchangeable lens SLR. Not comparable at all in any sense. The Primo Jr. is a gem, Topcon's leaf-shutter SLRs are at best undistinguished. Every bit as sorry as, say, Contaflexes and Voigtlaender's SLRs.

About proprietary, well, good luck finding a T-mount lens or a TX- or a T4- or an Adaptall-mount that will work on a Uni. These lenses are in barrel, have their own diaphragms. Back when there many have been a little demand for foul alien unclean non-Topcon lenses for the Uni but there was no supply. As I said, good luck.

Basically no one made lenses in M-mount to be used on Leica M cameras. Not enough of 'em. There are now alternative M-mount bodies and alternative lenses for them, but this is a new development made possible, I believe and could be mistaken, by the expiration of Leica patents.

Paul, Exakta made few, if any, lenses. The focal plane shutter Topcon SLRs are in Exakta mount. There are zillions of old lenses, mainly German but some "third party" Japanese, that will fit them. Given how good Topcors are, if I had a Topcon reflex I'd stick with them unless I had a special need that no Topcor could meet.

Shooter
    35mm

Maybe not a fan, but I have a few!

I happen to have a bunch of the Topcon leaf shutter cameras/lenses. Starting with the Wink Mirror E, then the Wink Mirror S, the Uni/Auto 100, then the Unirex, and lastly the IC-1, which was the only focal plane (horizontal, cloth) shutter in the bunch. The "E" was not an interchangable lens model, but all the rest were. Lenses were limited to the 28mm f/4, 35mm f/3.5, 50mm f/2, 53mm f/2, 100mm f/4, two varities of the 135mm f/4, a 200mm f/4, and for the IC-1 an 87-205mm f/4.7 zoom. Vivitar did make a 2X teleconverter, but that's about all I've seen in this mount. They are loud in operation because of the sequence of operation: Shutter closes, aperture stops down, mirror swings up, bottom baffle swings down (Mirror and bottom baffle made a light tight area in front of the film), and when they are out of the way, then the shutter opens and closes. Then the mirror has to swing back down and the bottom baffle has to rise, making the light tight seal again before the aperture can open and the shutter is opened as well. Lots to go wrong in that lengthy sequence of events, and in the older cameras, it does quite often. I have a smattering of spare parts, and a large bunch of parts cameras, along with the factory repair manuals.
    Mike

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Basically no one made lenses in M-mount to be used on Leica M cameras. Not enough of 'em. There are now alternative M-mount bodies and alternative lenses for them, but this is a new development made possible, I believe and could be mistaken, by the expiration of Leica patents.
    The latter is my understanding also. Another point is that because Leica screw (39mm x 26 tpi) can quickly and easily be adapted to Leica M via screw-on adapters, there were quite a few M-adaptable lenses well into the M-era, such as the Kobalux/Pasinon 21/2.8 and 38/3.5 from the 90s. Obviously a screw lens is a LOT cheaper to make and allows the lens to be used on far more cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Has anyone ever seen an aftermarket lens for the leaf shutter Kodak Retina SLR?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Paul, Exakta made few, if any, lenses. The focal plane shutter Topcon SLRs are in Exakta mount. There are zillions of old lenses, mainly German but some "third party" Japanese, that will fit them. Given how good Topcors are, if I had a Topcon reflex I'd stick with them unless I had a special need that no Topcor could meet.[/QUOTE]

I think the Topcon B used the old Exakta mount with an external linkage, the D and Super D used the RE mount. I guess you can used the older lens on a D or Super D, but only in preset mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Dear Dan,

Focal plane. Until you mentioned them, I'd forgotten the others -- which is presumably what a UNI is? Personally I'd hesitate to go near ANY leaf-shutter 35mm SLR.

Cheers,

Roger
    Not even a Contaflex Roger. Ernst Wandersleb would be disheartened
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin