Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,976   Online: 928

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

Any Topcon Uni fans in the house?

I have a chance to trade for a Topcon Uni and slow UV lenses in 35mm, 53mm and 135mm, plus a r.e.a.l.l.y slow 200mm, with nice Topcon lens cases, filters, etc. I've done a few searches here and elsewhere and come away with the impression that people either hate or love this stuff, so I'd like to know a bit more of other peoples opinions of the camera(s) and the lenses.

I do understand the gear is not valuable, but as users for fun how do they rate?

Eli

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Such little Topcon gear as I've used (mostly from the 60s -- can't remember the age of the Uni, and I think the name varied with location anyway) is big, heavy, very nicely made and delivers excellent results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Roger, are you thinking of Topcon SLRs with focal plane shutter and Exakta mount or of the ones with leaf shutter?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Roger, are you thinking of Topcon SLRs with focal plane shutter and Exakta mount or of the ones with leaf shutter?
    Dear Dan,

Focal plane. Until you mentioned them, I'd forgotten the others -- which is presumably what a UNI is? Personally I'd hesitate to go near ANY leaf-shutter 35mm SLR.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Roger, the UNI has a leaf shutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Only Topcon experience I have is a Primoflex 1950s TLR. Great camera
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Roger, the UNI has a leaf shutter.
    Dear Dan,

Thanks. My advice in my first post is therefore worthless. Sorry.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Large Format
    I started out with a Topcon Uni and the IC-!, back in the early 1970"s.
    They had Speed priority automation and a wide range of leaf lenses with excellent glass. (At the time the DM model was one of the US military's choice of camera. They also made large format lenses.)
    The pain in the ass peculiarity was that the camera had to be set manually to the max aperture of the lens.
    The main current problem would be to find a battery for the metre that would replace the mercury battery of the time, at the same power.
    I think the replacement would be a couple of points of and might, I am told, alter the meter reading.
    Although my complete set is worthless, It remains an excellent system. And the leaf shutter allows flash synch at all speeds.
    Roger
    Other than mechanical complexity in the lens, why would you avoid ANY leak shutter 35mm
    Regrds
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=cowanw;504033]I started out with a Topcon Uni and the IC-!, back in the early 1970"s.
    They had Speed priority automation and a wide range of leaf lenses with excellent glass. (At the time the DM model was one of the US military's choice of camera. They also made large format lenses.)

As noted by Bill the Topcon D and Super D was a professional level system used by the Navy. The Uni was a consumer grade camera and the lens were not compatiable with the D. I only used a Uni once, for a day a woman I was dating was the owner, with the standard lens and the 135. The glass was average to good from I recall, but the camera was not much. As a set in working order it might be a nice addition to a collection, other wise I would give it a pass.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    Other than mechanical complexity in the lens, why would you avoid ANY leak shutter 35mm
    Regrds
    Bill
    Dear Bill,

Complexity certainly runs high -- they are bar stewards to repair if they break, and I'd hate to get too attached to a camera, only to have it die on me. But they also impose fearsome constraints on lens design, normally meaming low or very low speeds and a limited choice of focal lengths. Screens are normally pretty dark, a combination of old-technology screens and low lens speeds. Reponse time (between pressing the shutter and taking the picture) is necessarily quite slow. Controls on all the ones I've handled have been fiddly and distinctly vintage, and the Topcon does not sound like an exception.

Apart from that I love them...They're technically interesting, I suppose, but hard work as picture taking machines.

Cheers,

Roger

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin