Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,317   Online: 863

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    I never understand why people don't consider getting the original FM bodies, which are old, but can be as good as the newer models...

Do you really need high shutter speeds above 1/1000?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker View Post
    Do you really need high shutter speeds above 1/1000?
    They're useful for differential focus. I like being able to use the 50/1.5 Sonnar on the M8 at 1/8000 where I might have to stop down to f/4 with the MP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker View Post
    I never understand why people don't consider getting the original FM bodies, which are old, but can be as good as the newer models...
    I have never found that SLR cameras grow old gracefully - I have owned secondhand examples of F3, FE and FM - I was never satisfied with the sharpness-wrecking vibration levels until I bought a new FM3a (and an amateur-owned just-serviced used F3). If an old Nikon IS working well, people (logically enough) seem to keep them and not offer them for sale!

Regards,

David

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post
    I have never found that SLR cameras grow old gracefully...
    F

(I have five)

Shooter
    35mm
    I like the FM quite well. I have a good used one and didn't seem to have any problem with it like David said. So I can say that it grew old gracefully. I compared the pictures I took with it and the F5 which was purchased new in 2003 and very well kept and I can see no differences between them if I used the same lens. In fact the FM yields better exposures than the F5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have and still use an old FM. The seals have been replaced, and it has been cleaned. While the cost of doing those things might be more than simply buying another used version, what I ended up with is a good functioning camera not needing additional repairs.

The downside of an FM over an FM2 is that the FM2 allows changing the viewfinder screen. The advantage of an FM over an FM2 is the AI tab can be moved, allowing some very old Nikon lenses to easily be used (like some of the shift lenses). The FE allows changing screens and moving the AI tab.

To get around the 1/1000 shutter limitation just takes ND filters. This assumes you might want to shoot near wide open shutter under bright conditions. The faster shutter speeds possible with an FE2 or FM2 mean that an ND filter might not be needed for similar conditions. The downside of the faster shutter speeds is that they might be more off in accuracy as these cameras become much older and more used.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I guess that the high prices suggest that this camera had a lot more mileage left in it when Nikon decided to pull it from the market.. There is the pity !!!!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bragg View Post
    I guess that the high prices suggest that this camera had a lot more mileage left in it when Nikon decided to pull it from the market.. There is the pity !!!!
    Agreed!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post
    I have never found that SLR cameras grow old gracefully - I have owned secondhand examples of F3, FE and FM - I was never satisfied with the sharpness-wrecking vibration levels until I bought a new FM3a (and an amateur-owned just-serviced used F3). If an old Nikon IS working well, people (logically enough) seem to keep them and not offer them for sale!

Regards,

David
    I have purchased several used Nikon 35 mm bodies and lenses from KEH, and I have not had any any problems with them. Two Nikon F bodies were supposed to be in EX condition, but they looked and felt near mint when I got them. Also true with an F2A. The meter still works, all works well with it.

As far as the prices of used manual cameras go, I have noticed that they are higher recently. Have you checked the prices on an F2AS in EX or LN condition? They are high as well.

Several months ago I purchased a new F100 because I had a feeling that Nikon would be discontinuing it soon. I have tested it by shooting about 10 rolls of film, and now I plan to box it up and place it in storage for some time. I have several other Nikons I can use. The F100 will hopefully be like new in several years when I have worn out my other Nikons. So, as soon as I wear out my F, F with FTN Photomic Meter, F2A, F3HP (two of them in almost new condition), FM2N (a black body and a silver body), then I can start using my F100!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin