Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,718   Online: 871

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Nikon FM3a - outrageous used prices ?!?!?

I was poking around the KEH site, looking for...well, you know...and I stubled upon their selection of used Nikon FM3A's....

What has happened to the prices on these? KEH are asking nearly double what they cost new just a few short years ago...

(I ended up buying something else - shhh don't tell my accountant).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Don't understand your comment - the dearest price I could find was $1,035.00 for LN (like new) grade, which is approx. $150 less than I paid for a new FM3a immediately after I heard they were discontinued! Mint- cameras are offered for $850 on down.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Supply and demand.

You could buy a new Nikon F6 instead.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post
    Don't understand your comment - the dearest price I could find was $1,035.00 for LN (like new) grade, which is approx. $150 less than I paid for a new FM3a immediately after I heard they were discontinued! Mint- cameras are offered for $850 on down.

Regards,

David
    Hi David,

I'm pretty sure your comment was meant to be tounge-in-cheek but, just for reference, I think I paid just about $569 for mine, new. That was perhaps, a year before it was announced.

I'm in a dilema...because, I actually like to use mine! and now, I find that I could almost trade it for a good user DLC-45...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Hi David,

I'm pretty sure your comment was meant to be tounge-in-cheek but, just for reference, I think I paid just about $569 for mine, new. That was perhaps, a year before it was announced.

I'm in a dilema...because, I actually like to use mine! and now, I find that I could almost trade it for a good user DLC-45...
    I suppose this once again illustrates the difference between UK and US prices - what I paid (to Robert White) was the regular list price!

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post
    I suppose this once again illustrates the difference between UK and US prices - what I paid (to Robert White) was the regular list price!

Regards,

David
    Ah, yes. Now that you mention it, I do remember this from my last visit to the UK. Looking at prices there, I remember thinking..."The number is the same (as it would be in the US) but, the units are different"!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinholemaster View Post
    Supply and demand.

You could buy a new Nikon F6 instead.
    Not in the U.K. you couldn't - no where near a F6 price as others have stated.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ffordes have FM3a(s) advertised for £350, and a couple of used F6 cameras from £900.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The FM3a is the most recent manual Nikon body and as such is pretty popular.

Those who realize the pricing dilemma satisfy themselves with a cherry FE2 and a pretty FM2n, which can do everything the FM3a can do between them (with a slight reduction in TTL capability but nothing dramatic) and leave some change for lenses.

I'd love to have an FM3a but the prices tell me that I can't justify one. I got a really pretty used F5 for less money than a similar FM3a would cost. I'll just have to learn to love my FM2n and FE instead.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    No price is outrageous if that is what people are willing to pay. Whether it's worth it to you is another matter -- as is the question of affordability (I'd love a second MP body but can't afford one, even if I sold my M4-P and both M2s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin