Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,592   Online: 990
      
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26
  1. #21
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    23,036
    Images
    65
    Chan;

    The actual APS recorded frame size is invariant regardless of which of the 3 sizes you pick. The difference is the data recorded on the film in the data track and what you see through the viewfinder when you take the picture. The recorded data tells the printer what format to print the frame in.

    So, when you unwind a processed spool of APS film, you will not see any difference from frame to frame and can print any format you wish. I print them using a 35mm negative holder in my enlarger with no problem.

    PE

  2. #22
    Akki14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,873
    Images
    210
    wheelygirl - Basically all 35mm film you can buy will have a DX code on it so don't worry about it. If you were bulkloading your own film, then you'd have to buy or make your own DX codes on your canisters. Eventually you might want to play around with modifying the DX codes on the canister if you can't manually change the ISO on your camera but that's probably for another day and time

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    328
    Can I bulk-load APS film? Is there any reason I would want to? Just wondering...

    PJ

  4. #24
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    23,036
    Images
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliej View Post
    Can I bulk-load APS film? Is there any reason I would want to? Just wondering...

    PJ
    No you cannot. Lots of reasons you would not want to. None you would want to.

    PE

  5. #25

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, IL
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,957
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Chan;

    The actual APS recorded frame size is invariant regardless of which of the 3 sizes you pick. The difference is the data recorded on the film in the data track and what you see through the viewfinder when you take the picture. The recorded data tells the printer what format to print the frame in.

    So, when you unwind a processed spool of APS film, you will not see any difference from frame to frame and can print any format you wish. I print them using a 35mm negative holder in my enlarger with no problem.

    PE
    I know but the uncropped frame size of the APS is too wide for most cases. I think either keeping the 3/2 ratio of the 35mm format or changing to the 4/3 format is better. In fact I think changing to the 4/3 format but keeping the diagonal to the same 43mm or so of the 35mm format would be a great thing. That way one can uses lenses made for 35mm and yet getting a larger area. The "native" APS format (what is really on the film) is close to the 16/9 and is too wide in most still images.

  6. #26
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    23,036
    Images
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I know but the uncropped frame size of the APS is too wide for most cases. I think either keeping the 3/2 ratio of the 35mm format or changing to the 4/3 format is better. In fact I think changing to the 4/3 format but keeping the diagonal to the same 43mm or so of the 35mm format would be a great thing. That way one can uses lenses made for 35mm and yet getting a larger area. The "native" APS format (what is really on the film) is close to the 16/9 and is too wide in most still images.
    I agree, but I think that both the APS designers and the digital sensor designers were headed to a new aspect ratio to look better on HDTV. IDK this for sure but I heard a lot of talk about that at EK way back when.

    And, their goal was to use both APS and digital lenses interchangably, and not have then interchangable with 35mm. There were also reasons why the actual sensors were made the size they were due to some sort of legacy from the electronics industry. I'm not sure at all what that might have been.

    PE

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin