Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,714   Posts: 1,483,031   Online: 738

Thread: xg1 flash help

Shooter
    35mm

xg1 flash help

Does anyone know what different kinds of flashes a Minolta xg1 will acceppt. I have a vivitar 2000 with pc link but does not seem to work, any ideas greatyly appreciated.

Shooter
    35mm
    XG1 link
    The XG-1 had a hot shoe and PC receptacle. The shoe should work with any basic shoe-mount flash like a Sunpak 383 Super or Vivitar 283 or your Vivitar 2000 as long as the shoe configuration is standard and not the relatively newfangled Maxxum design.

The PC contact should work with ANY flash which has a PC cord.

It's possible the microswitch in the shutter which triggers the flash is NG and it's also possible there's a short in the camera's PC circuit.

XG-1 manual.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Henry's right. Any flash with a PC cord jack should work. Now I know that with the Minolta x-series that the flash is sunced at 1/60th sec because that is the fastest shutter speed on the camera when the entire surface of the film is uniformly exposed to the light from the flash. 1/125 and the first curtain is only half way across the surface of the film before the second starts to chase it, leaving only half of the image brightened by the flash.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the replies. I ordered another flash to test the camera with in case it's the flash not the camera (been lying around a while). Thanks again, I'll know more when I get the new flash (sunpak MX220-S).

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by krandi88 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I ordered another flash to test the camera with in case it's the flash not the camera (been lying around a while).
    No doubt you have to reform the capacitors on the old flash, presuming it's not just dead. Put new batteries in and turn it on. When you get the ready light, let it sit ON for 15 minutes and then give it a dozen full-power flashes, letting the power light come on for 5 seconds before each pop.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes I did try reforming the capacitor's in the vivitar, no luck. The new flash came in, and same problem no sync. So I decided to break it down and check all the connections and clean them. In the process I found a green wire (looks like ground) under the bottom plate where the batteries are installed, it was lose. So I soldered it back into place, reasembled and viola it all works great now. Problem solved, thank you to everyone that posted you all have been a big help.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin