Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,575   Online: 968

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Hey! My Takumar actually IS yellow...

I'd heard rumors before that Super Takumars (or maybe it was just the 50/1.4?) go yellow sometimes with age, but I always thought the rumor was just a product of people being confused by seeing a yellow lens coating rather than a purple one.

But, in the wake of my last 50/1.4 being stolen last spring, I've just got a new one, and looking through it it looks like I've got a yellow filter on the front.

So how's that going to effect my photography? Like a yellow filter? Including having to factor in the filter factor, I suppose, as I haven't got a TTL on any of my m42s? Anyone know what exactly causes this little phenomenon?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I believe it is radiation from a thorium element in the lens that turns it yellow. I also believe you can effect a (relatively) short-term "cure" by putting the lens in direct sunlight for several days. Over time the yellow would come back, because of continuous radioactive decay of the thorium in the glass.

If my memory is correct and this is indeed the source of the yellow color, just don't sleep with the lens between your thighs or you'll have funny-looking children. Otherwise the radioactive output is weak enough your desk drawer or closet door or whatever else you keep between you and the lens is enough to block the radiation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can't vouch for the degree of accuracy here, it's the internet after all:

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/repairs/yellow.htm

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used a strong UV lightsource on both my 35mm 2.0 and 50mm 1.4 Super-Takumars. The yellow color was gone after one day´s treatment. This was at least two years ago, and the lenses still look good to my eye.

Trond

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had some yellowing on a SMC takumar 50mm f1.4, and what I did was to wrap it in aluminium foil, uncovering only one side of the lens, and leaving it on a windowsill for a few days. Somewhere I've read that the foil supposedly bounced the UV rays back, thus accelerating the cure, but who knows. At any rate the yellowing was gone after a few days.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, mine is too. I use it only for B&W anyway, so I didn't bother with the sunlight treatment. Rough guesstimate say that it knocks about 1/3 to 1/2 stop worth of the light passing through it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Luckily mines in a new home, it fell out of my backpack halfway up the Glyders 18 years ago. (Welsh mountains)

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Luckily mines in a new home, it fell out of my backpack halfway up the Glyders 18 years ago. (Welsh mountains)

Ian
    Not necessarily Ian-you may have lost a magnificent lens with a built in yellow filter. Among my lenses is a 35 f2 which is one of the sharpest 35's I've ever used,
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I believe it is radiation from a thorium element in the lens that turns it yellow. I also believe you can effect a (relatively) short-term "cure" by putting the lens in direct sunlight for several days. Over time the yellow would come back, because of continuous radioactive decay of the thorium in the glass.

If my memory is correct and this is indeed the source of the yellow color, just don't sleep with the lens between your thighs or you'll have funny-looking children. Otherwise the radioactive output is weak enough your desk drawer or closet door or whatever else you keep between you and the lens is enough to block the radiation.
    Or funnier looking children, whichever the case may be.

Some of the FSU lenses have the same issue, supposedly because of lanthanum. I would think that if shooting black and white the 'problem' may be worth retaining for contrast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    my Chinon f1.4 50mm lens that only recently replaced it is far better anyway.

Actually I had a great pair of Chinon's and an f1.4 lens until they were stolen and I went back to Pentax equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Layne View Post
    Not necessarily Ian-you may have lost a magnificent lens with a built in yellow filter. Among my lenses is a 35 f2 which is one of the sharpest 35's I've ever used,
    Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin