Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,597   Online: 966

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, but I sure liked the F with the F36. Had a nice pair of all black.

Don't shoot much 35mm anymore, but I wouldn't go backwards from the F3 HP for a F or F2.

Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    . . . AFAIK, there were 4 varieties of Nikon "F". Which one would you have them produce?

PE
    There would be little point in producing a copy of the ugly and awkward Photomic. The prism finder is another matter. One wonders if Nikon couldn't make just the finders for us who still use them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've owned a couple of F's, used many more, never cared much for the F2's and I own an F3. The F's are nice cameras, however, the later ones are better in many respects.
    A collector's edition F is something I'd consider pretty much a waste of time and money. I know it sounds like sour grapes but my reasons are;
    1, I wouldn't be able to afford it, and 2, I'd have no interest in a camera that I could never use (too much risk to it's "collector value"), even if I could afford it.
    A nearby camera shop has a 75 anny Rollei for sale, at a very good price compared to B&H. It's been there for at least a year. It's very pretty, with it's wood presentation box and all, but such a waste at the same time.
    Last edited by bdial; 08-16-2007 at 10:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    There were several varieties of Nikon F cameras. One was made for the Japanese market and the other for export. This was similar to the Nikkormat EL which was the Nikomat EL in Japan.

In any event, both of the F models were made in two varieties that I have been able to trace. One allowed the meter prism to be added, and the other did not allow the meter prism. Earlier models would not accept the meter prism. So, AFAIK, there were 4 varieties of Nikon "F". Which one would you have them produce?

PE
    Probably the red dot version as it accepted the prism head.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post
    No, but I sure liked the F with the F36. Had a nice pair of all black.

Don't shoot much 35mm anymore, but I wouldn't go backwards from the F3 HP for a F or F2.

Mike
    Bloody F36! A great device for wasting film, when it suddenly and unexpectedly fired off all the shots on the counter for no reason! It was OK in the studio for copying, but out of the studio, the only ones I ever had were disasters.

I still have 5 Fs and wouldn't want F2s (we switched to them in the studo where I used to work, which is where I got two of my Fs and one of my F36s) and cannot see any appeal at all in later models.

Then again, I'm a Leica M addict: M2, M4-P, MP, M8 but never M7.

But in response to the OP, no, I sure as hell wouldn't waste money on a 'collector' F: my two black paint Fs with plain prisms are now just nicely worn in.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    All Nikon F cameras accept the original "Bulls-Eye" Photomic meter. The TTL meters "T" and "Tn" need the viewfinder housing to be slightly enlarged. Cameras after 67 block are good, the switch-over was late in the 65 block. The last Photomic meter, the "FTn", added "grabbers" to the front to prevent "Photomic Fly-Away Syndrome". This requires the name plate on cameras earlier than the 69 block to be modified.

I doubt that collectors would buy this camera. The price of the S3-2000 which has the best 50mm F1.4 lens ever made by Nikon fell to less than half of its introductory price. Too many near-mint F's and F2's to make it worthwhile for a user to pay over $2,000 for a new one. I paid $125 for my near mint late 7444xxx "Apollo" Nikon F and $75 for a 1st run 7101xxx F2.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    There would be little point in producing a copy of the ugly and awkward Photomic. The prism finder is another matter. One wonders if Nikon couldn't make just the finders for us who still use them.
    Jim;

The camera usually came with the plain prism and you added the Photomic prism afterwards. This is in the days when that camera cost a lot of $$$ even with the then current exchange rate.

One version was incompatible with the Photomic as I indicated and would have to have some serious modification to allow one to fit. These were all produced in one of the early runs.

I have tried to put several Photomic prisms on mine and the opening is large enough, but there is a lip on the trailing edge of the camera body which is too high. We have measured several prisms and cameras in an effort to achieve this fit or figure out the problem, all to no avail.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If they do go forward with this, they'll recoup their investment selling the first thousand or so to the Japanese home market, and then every sale after that is gravy.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Jim;

The camera usually came with the plain prism and you added the Photomic prism afterwards. This is in the days when that camera cost a lot of $$$ even with the then current exchange rate.

One version was incompatible with the Photomic as I indicated and would have to have some serious modification to allow one to fit. These were all produced in one of the early runs.

I have tried to put several Photomic prisms on mine and the opening is large enough, but there is a lip on the trailing edge of the camera body which is too high. We have measured several prisms and cameras in an effort to achieve this fit or figure out the problem, all to no avail.

PE
    All the new Nikon F models I remember seeing and occasionally buying overseas in the late 1960s and early 1970s came with the Photomic finders and the f/1.4 lens. At the time I was too enamored by the accuracy of the Photomic FTN finder over the Weston meters I was using (and still do) to object to its bulk. Filing down the lip on the trailing edge of the early bodies to accept the Photomic was routine. We considered the 50mm f/2 better for close-up photography. Due to its scarcity it was valued as highly as the faster lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim;

I bought mine in Tokyo in late 1959 or early 1960. None of the models came with the metered finder. It was an extra cost item. In fact, it was apparently not released until shortly after I bought mine, as the design of the insert in the body for the prism changed. It was such an early model that the blue book lists the serial # in a special category. The number apparently does not follow the usual Nikon convention.

Many of the color pictures of flying in my gallery were taken with that camera. It has had a lot of use.

PE

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin