Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,534   Online: 997

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You could also get a clip-on Selenium meter that coupled to the shutter speed dial and the lens aperture via the prong. My "Meter 3" is still accurate, and fits all of the cameras. My Photomic "Bullseye" meter fits the early 6420xxx body, the earliest that I've got. It was introduced later than that body.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    If they do go forward with this, they'll recoup their investment selling the first thousand or so to the Japanese home market, and then every sale after that is gravy.
    That seems to be what they have done in the past. I find it unfair though that most of their limited edition or collector edition bodies have been produced for their local market only. There are many of us in other parts of the world (not judging by the response on this thread) that would love to purchase their collector edition cameras. :rolleyes:

I wonder if Nikon is aware that there are people outside Japan that collect Nikon cameras?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I would think that the internet has made national markets pretty porous for this sort of item. What's to keep foreign buyers from ordering online?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would expect a 50th (or 60th; next year) Anniversary F6 over any other camera. If anything, this might be like the 50th Anniversary (of Nikon) F5 variant.

Rangefinders seem to be more popular with collectors. If Nikon ever do another run, perhaps it might be an S4, which is not very common at all.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Were it a replicated, early, early, plain F, I might not be able to resist. That was my first and thus sentimentaly most-favorite 35mm camera. An Air Force buddy brought it back from Japan for me in the summer of 1958. Hadn't had it six months when I dropped it on a cement floor, top of prism first. Other than a slight dent at the prism tip, that F never missed a beat. Long gone now, but I'll never forget that then-special, brilliantly-bright, reflex image w/ the 1.4.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Huh?

I have never, and will never understand the appeal of those early F's. They are heavy and clunky, and if you have the metering prism on, the shutter speeds wheel feels really odd. If I had to chose a nikon to shoot with, it would probably be the F3 as long as I wasn't using flash. My favorite all round Nikon had to be the FM3a and/or the FM2. No, they weren't "tanks" like the early f's, but that's the real appeal. My vote for the worst of the F's would have to be the original, followed by the f4 and then the F2. Maybe my bias against heavy miniature formats cameras is showing:-)

Isaac
    See my adventures in Yemen here:
    www.isaharr.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by isaacc7 View Post
    I have never, and will never understand the appeal of those early F's. They are heavy and clunky, and if you have the metering prism on, the shutter speeds wheel feels really odd. If I had to chose a nikon to shoot with, it would probably be the F3 as long as I wasn't using flash. My favorite all round Nikon had to be the FM3a and/or the FM2. No, they weren't "tanks" like the early f's, but that's the real appeal. My vote for the worst of the F's would have to be the original, followed by the f4 and then the F2. Maybe my bias against heavy miniature formats cameras is showing:-)

Isaac

The appeal, at least for me, of the Nikon F is its rugged simplicity. It is not a large camera, but it is heavier than most other F models. It gives the impression of holding an instrument built to very high standards both in design and craftsmanship.

I have several other Nikons including the F2A, F3HP, FM2N, F100, and DSLR models as well. All these other cameras might be technologically superior to the old F, but they lack the feel of the F. I do enjoy using the other cameras (especially my F3HP with MD4 motordrive), and their in camera metering (except for the F2A) is very convenient.

Again, I think it is a matter of how the camera feels. In many cases taking photographs requires motivation. Besides the subject matter being photographed, some cameras provide motivation for shooting as well. My F puts me in a different mood than my other cameras and this "mood" is reflected in the final printed images. It's not just about "using the right tool for the right job". Photography is not TV repair or road paving, it is an art form. As with any art form, the instrument used must be an extension of the artist (I know, a bit cliche but true). My auto everything cameras have their place and I use them when I need fast results (like at weddings for example). When I have time to stop and smell the roses (or photograph them), I like doing it with a legendary camera that motivates me like the F.

I was not lucky enough to have been around to purchcase a first edition F in 1959, so I think that Nikon would be offering some of us later-born Nikon fans the opportunity to own a camera that revolutionized photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    <snip> There are many of us in other parts of the world (not judging by the response on this thread) that would love to purchase their collector edition cameras. :rolleyes:

I wonder if Nikon is aware that there are people outside Japan that collect Nikon cameras?
    Speak for yourself, snegron. For me cameras are tools. I wouldn't pay more for a "special edition" than for normal production.

Inquiring minds want to know whether you've lost enough weight to be able to buy that Leica you were carrying on about a while ago.

Inquiring minds also want to know why you launched this thread. Surely Nikon can do market research better and more thoroughly than you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have very fond feelings towards my first (well alright, not *that* fond – after all it's only a camera) Nikon F which I bought second hand when I was a penniless student in the late '60s. It served me well for many years – indeed it still gets used, though mostly only on the copystand. I have had a great many Nikons since then (currently 6 bodies and 11 lenses – but that's another thread).

That said there is no way I would pay serious money for a special commemorative edition of that, or indeed of anything. That's a mugs' game.

Sorry Nikon!

Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Speak for yourself, snegron. For me cameras are tools. I wouldn't pay more for a "special edition" than for normal production.

Inquiring minds want to know whether you've lost enough weight to be able to buy that Leica you were carrying on about a while ago.

Inquiring minds also want to know why you launched this thread. Surely Nikon can do market research better and more thoroughly than you.

1. There are actually people out there who collect cameras. There is a market for it. Nikon, as well as Contax, Pentax, and others know this and have produced many collectors editions throughout the years. The FM2 had several collectors editions as did the FA, the F3, F2, and F5. I tried on several ocassions to purchase one of these models but they usually sold out before I had the chance to buy them. I have more than enough Nikon film bodies to last me a lifetime (or until Kodak and Fuji decide to stop making film), but I wouldn't think twice about getting a collector's edition F if Nikon made it.

2. I have lost 42 pounds so far since January! I need to drop 20 more and I will be ordering the Leica! All the weight lost so far has been simply by changing eating habits, no excercise. I have reached the point where the only way to loose the remaining pounds will be through excercise. I am considering though that I don't know if I like the Leica idea more than a 400mm 2.8 AF for my current Nikons! Who knows, I might be lucky and Nikon might have the 50 year anniversary limited edition F on the market when I'm ready to get my weight loss reward!

3. It is a "what if" type thread. Very common in these types of forums. :rolleyes: Don't get me started on Nikon marketing research! If they had any clue about what consumers wanted they would have never discontinued the FM3! And the idea that they discontinued it because it wasn't selling is not a valid consideration. Have you seen the prices of used FM3's on the market today? When available they are going for much more than when the bodies were new just 2 or 3 years ago!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin