Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,592   Online: 1117

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lens_hacker View Post
    The "66" block of Nikon's is known to be very rare. The Nikon S3 half frame was produced in very small numbers, but used the 66 block. The "65" block has a "hole" at the beginning of the block bacause of the Nikon S4, which occupies ~6,000 numbers in the 65 block.

I was not aware of holes in the 64 block. Does the blue book state anymore about it?
    I don't have the book. I was reading it with a friend at his home. He is the collector. We were trying to find why the prism could not be changed for the coupled prism and there was a hole in the block which was covered in a separate paragraph.

Sorry, but I don't remember the details.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My lens is the 85 - 250 mm f4 telezoom, #159102.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    My lens is the 85 - 250 mm f4 telezoom, #159102.

PE
    Yes, definitely early series lens, probably produced during the first months of 1960, before Nikon released the second series mid 1960!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    First version of that lens started with 154901. Second version started with 157901 (or 157911, depending upon source). That would make it a second version lens. Perhaps not as collectible as a first version, though it would be an improved and better operating version of that lens. Third version started with 184711, in 1969.

The finders were another matter. One of the finders will work on some of the F model cameras as indicated by a red dot before the serial number. There was a separate selenium meter prior to the introduction of the Photomic finder around 1962. Seems that your particular F might not be able to use a Photomic finder.

Some of the Nikon serial numbers beginning with 65 were used for the S4 rangefinder. This might be why F models starting with 65 are slightly more valued.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    35mm
    I wonder if the inflated ones are perhaps most in demand. About 6 or 7 years ago I sold F # 640046X for around $2300. The camera showed much use. So if yours is truly mint AND the serial number indicates something special, the $5000 is not out of the question. The only puzzle for me would be why such a "late" 64 number would be worth a fortune. Any Nikonophile opinions on that?

J

I don't disagree, but the price of my vintage Nikon is so inflated it is not in demand. This is an interesting conundrum but often is the case, when something is priced out of the existing market.

PE
    [QUOTE=Photo Engineer;510647]SN 6426008. Standard Nikon F but this block of numbers occupies a separate paragraph in the Blue Book. I've read this and unless it has changed in the 2 years since I read it, it was a rare bird. The book listed the selling price in the $5000+ range depending on condition. This one is mint.

The SN is also out of sequence for Nikon numbering for some reason. You will see that in the Blue Book. It appears as if this sequence was never produced until you search and then find the #.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    if i had the exorbinant amount of money they'd be asking for it, hell yeah, i'd buy it.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin