Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,398   Online: 1086

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

New Nikon F 50 Year Aniversary Edition!

Actually, the question is if Nikon produced a brand new, 50 year anniversary limited edition of their F body next year, a hand made copy in the original specs of the 1959 F body with standard prism, 50mm 1.4 lens with matching serial number, would you buy it?

The only difference would be that it would have the usual special edition stamp on the front of the body indicating it was a 50 year anniversary edition. The idea is like the SP 2000 they produced of their rangefinder, only this time it would be of the camera that we Nikon addicts bow down to in in reveration.

If Nikon asked a ridiculously high price, like about $2,400.00 for this edition, would you jack up the credit card and buy it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nope!

But if it was the last of the F2 range, then I would be lining up ready to purchase.

I believe the last F2 was the best.

Mick.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    I agree with that, but no, I still wouldn't buy a new one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My "F" was one of the first produced and has a low serial #. It is in mint condition. So, no, I would not buy one.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    Nope!

But if it was the last of the F2 range, then I would be lining up ready to purchase.

Mick.
    Those last edition F2's are still commanding high prices on the used market! I would think that Nikon would reproduce the original F because of the 50 year mark next year. I think I would open a secret credit card account that my wife wouldn't know about just to get the "special edition F"!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    No, had an Nikon F once, but like my F2 much more.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    No
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Cameras like that are produced (and priced) for collectors. It's not like a Nikon F is rare. They're around. A cla and they would last decades more.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Cameras like that are produced (and priced) for collectors. It's not like a Nikon F is rare. They're around. A cla and they would last decades more.

Again, I think it is more about collector appeal. Yes, there are many F bodies out there, but look at the prices of early models in mint condition. They are getting harder to find. I will be the first to admit that while a newer F model (circa 1970-75) in excellent condition would be a great user camera, it would not cost as much to purchase as would an earlier model from the first or second year of production.

There are many F collectors out there who know the intricate detailed variations between an F body of 1962 vs. a 1974 body. At first sight they appear to be the same, but upon close examination there are several diferences (stamp on top of camera that reads either Nippon Kogaku Tokyo or Nikon, pattern on self timer switch, film railing differences, colors of numbers on speed dials, etc.)

Although I am not an expert on F history nor a professional collector in any way, I appreciate the historic value of the F and its contribution to 35mm photography. I don't have the money to go out and collect numerous F bodies with each of their variations, but I would seriously consider getting a brand new limited edition F if Nikon made it. It would be a really cool camera to own!

Of course, my plans would be quickly dampened because knowing Nikon they would only sell this special edition to their local market in Japan. I'm sure that Japanese collectors would buy them all up within the first month of production and store them away somewhere leaving the rest of the world with only a dream of owning one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There were several varieties of Nikon F cameras. One was made for the Japanese market and the other for export. This was similar to the Nikkormat EL which was the Nikomat EL in Japan.

In any event, both of the F models were made in two varieties that I have been able to trace. One allowed the meter prism to be added, and the other did not allow the meter prism. Earlier models would not accept the meter prism. So, AFAIK, there were 4 varieties of Nikon "F". Which one would you have them produce?

PE

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin