Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,116   Posts: 1,613,203   Online: 872

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A Nikon FM2, FM, or FM3a would be my first through 3 choices in that order. To say that these cameras can take a beating is an understatement. All will work at all speeds without a battery of any kind. They are on the small side, and the viewfinders are quite good, though not as good as the one found on an F3. F3's are too nice to live under a car seat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikkormats are almost free these days, really just an early FM. FTn, FT2 &
    FT3 models are purely mechanical ('cept for the meter). Uses all that nice F mount glass, including the Micro Nikkors for your close ups.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jolefler View Post
    Nikkormats are almost free these days, really just an early FM. FTn, FT2 & FT3 models are purely mechanical ('cept for the meter). Uses all that nice F mount glass, including the Micro Nikkors for your close ups.
    I was about to suggest the same thing. The homepage shot on my website was taken with a Nikkormat.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Suggestions of older cameras such as Olympus OM-1 and Nikkormat sound very interesting. With other old 35mm cameras, obvious weak points are door seals and meter accuracy. Any other suggestions of things to look out for when buying older cameras one isn't intimately familiar with?

Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'll toss out another oddball suggestion - Contax RTS I (usually just labelled RTS) or an RTS II, with a 50mm f 1.7 AE. They're old enough now that they're cheap to pick up. The optics are second to none, and the original RTS's are built like tanks but they're not nearly as massive as the F3.
    KEH has an original RTS in Bargain condition for $94. Takes one PX 28 battery. They're available in Lithium, Silver, and alkaline (the batteries that is).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For a beater of beater's camera, at around $20.00, I recommend a Chinon, Rioch, or Cosina in a M42 or early K mount. My beater of beater if a Chinon branded GAF M 42 with a 50mm 2.0, I also carry a Chinion 35 and 135 Vivitar in my trunk. In the summer I keep a roll of 35mm in by brief case. The lens are not great, but in a pinch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I second the Contax RTS. This cameras are rugged and the optics you can purchase are some of the best you can buy.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    No need to wade through three plus pages of stuff to suggest a Nikkormat FTN, FT2, FT3 etc.

Will cost you about fifty bucks (maybe seventy-five with a 2.8/50mm lens) and is built like the proverbial brick ....house.

Others will have other suggestions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While I am a OM and Pentax M-42 fan, my recommendation for a tank camera would be the Nikkormat Ftn. Mine is about the same age as I am (very late thirties) still goes strong.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you don't HAVE to stick to 35mm, think about a baby Speed Graphic or Busch Pressman with a roll-film holder. Huge negatives, still easy to fit under the car seat, self-casing, and virtually indestructible.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin