Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,588   Online: 895

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    If you don't HAVE to stick to 35mm, think about a baby Speed Graphic or Busch Pressman with a roll-film holder. Huge negatives, still easy to fit under the car seat, self-casing, and virtually indestructible.
    Not so hot on close up, though. At least, not conveniently.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you don't HAVE to stick to 35mm, think about a baby Speed Graphic or Busch Pressman with a roll-film holder. Huge negatives, still easy to fit under the car seat, self-casing, and virtually indestructible.
    Hah, I have been thinking about a 4x5 Graphic type of camera, although not as a beater but more for street portraits. Hmm. Wouldn't fit under the seat but there's always the trunk. I could stick it in a small cooler bag...

I ought not to think about this too long: it gets more and more attractive the longer I do!

Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Roger- they may not be as convenient on closeup as an SLR, but they're a damn sight better than a fixed-lens 35 rangefinder. If your closeups are close up enough to require careful composition and focusing, then you should be on a tripod anyway, and you can do full-on macro off the GG with a Baby Graphic which you certainly can't do with a fixed lens rangefinder or an SLR without a dedicated (and pricey) macro lens.

Images
    It sounds like one good situation to go Dig.... (you know). Unlike film, not affected by the 150 degree heat in a closed up car, and no degradation of images while waiting to "finish the roll."
    PS, you didn't hear this here.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Bill- reasonable point, but the batteries in those beasts do conk out much faster in the heat and the cold. You'd have to keep a car charger handy at all times, to be able to re-juice the thing.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Roger- they may not be as convenient on closeup as an SLR, but they're a damn sight better than a fixed-lens 35 rangefinder. If your closeups are close up enough to require careful composition and focusing, then you should be on a tripod anyway, and you can do full-on macro off the GG with a Baby Graphic which you certainly can't do with a fixed lens rangefinder or an SLR without a dedicated (and pricey) macro lens.
    Fair enough -- which is why I said 'conveniently'.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Press cameras aren't convenient for closeup?

Most of the graphics have a number of features to facilitate fast framing even for close focus, and without using ground glass.

With the 135mm on my old crown graphic, I am pretty sure I can work about as fast as any other rangefinder. And I can do half-decent macro with it. Can anybody's 35mm RF do macro?

Note that because of the big neg, you can get by with much faster film than you might use for 35mm. So stop down, try delta 3200, and for instant prints there is fuji fp3000b.

I wish I had one of those big exploding flashes, then I could get a media pass and put on a trench coat and work the streets...
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin