Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,234   Online: 824

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    Someone asked about the serial number, this one is over 29,000.
    Good to know that they seem to have sold a number of them, mine is just over 1100.

Shooter
    35mm
    Roteague
    You made very smart decision geting F6 if like photography. You have the best photocamera, you have in your hand the most complex machine man ever made in history.
    I have two F6 and I use them for my 35 mm professional work, beside three Leicas R8.
    F6 is unmatched. Its shutter and mirror will permit you longer exposure time from hand than with any other camera.
    F6 is really a special photo camera. It will require that you change your way living with it. One example:
    There is one very small pin just above film chamber (the side where rewinding knob is. That pin is out when you oppen the door. Closing the door the pin gous in signaling to the camera door is closed. When you oppening the door you have to pull the knob. When you closing the door it will get on the pin and will slide downwars due to closing mechanism. That moment the door can bend the pin and make somithing bad to the switch. That moment camera will not will req. repair (new switch). To avoid it: when you closing the door pool out the knob with which you open the door, and close the door, and release the knob, so the door will not move downward. Hope it is clear.
    This is not misdesign, it is a way to live with F6.
    Also I do not see any problem with inserting the film cassete. It is just the way of F6.
    F6 will make you many nice moments in your life.
    I use it the same as my manual R8, and all automations are there for never know. Real prifessional photo camera: reliable, accurate, good, will never-ever put you down.
    I will recomend you to get rechargeable battery for your MB40. When it comes that you have to use it you will know why.
    About the batteries. Many complain on the life of the batteries, but I think it is all OK. Do not rewind film automatically, but manually with rewinding knob. I also never turn off the button on/off to prevent overwear for some people swith it always when they shoot. My is full time on and just several times a year is off. My battery last 9-11 months (two Lithium 123), but I look before i shoot and never used motor drive.
    To make long short, all meters are OK.
    Good luck with your photography. If you are a professional photographer you got the right tool and for many things in studio and for field. As I got my two F6 Leicas got limited use.

www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    35mm
    What compelled you to buy an F6??

Shooter
    35mm
    bad question after reading page 2.. What was the best part of the camera that sold you??

Shooter
    35mm
    Very nice camera (I read the review at Tom Hogan's website) If I had Nikon lenses this would be the ultimate film SLR I'd splurge on.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Master_of_Reality View Post
    bad question after reading page 2.. What was the best part of the camera that sold you??
    I've been a life long Nikon guy; F2, F3, N70, N80, F5 and now F6. One of the reasons I went for the F6 was the desire to have a modern 35mm camera, as technically advanced as any DSLR, but still be able to use film. Having handled the camera, with the MD-40, I think that my decision was a good one. The camera has a perfect balance, the controls are easy to use by touch, even the materials used to cover the camera have a solid feel - the rubber is the best I've ever felt. I've used the newer auto-focus types in my D200, which are also on the F6. I noticed when loading film how quiet the camera is; I've never seeen such a quiet SLR (or DSLR).

However, I've yet to run any film through it. I'll be taking it out tomorrow after work to shoot some color negative film (I can't get any E6 processed locally, and I don't have enough time left before a major trip to send any out), and get a feel for how the camera reacts in use.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Robert,

Can't help you out - but do tell us what you think once you start shooting with it.

Not sure how much longer Nikon will be making film gear. They just announced the D3 (virturally a full frame sensor) and D300 (not) - so the F6 is likely to be the last in a long line of great film SLRs.
    Just remember everyone thought the F5 was the last. I have a Nikon Compendium from about 2000 where the author (Simon Stafford) states the F5 is likely to be the last.

Still - don't really know what more they could improve on in an F7 having read this thread, and owning an F5 myself - which itself seems pretty amazing.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm really glad that the F6 came out. It helped push the prices on the F5s down enough that I could afford to buy a really clean one.

These are fantastic cameras. I love my F5. I'd love an F6 but it would be a bit of an indulgence at the moment.

That little metal bump in the film chamber is, I think, to prevent the cartridge from turning during power rewind. The rewind motor is very powerful. (This is my educated guess.)

Jim
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Congratulations on the purchase. I love my F5 but i'm still a bit jealous.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I went out this afternoon and shot a couple of rolls. The camera is very smooth, very quiet, and has excellent balance (I have the MD-40 attached). The controls fall very easily to my hands, although the command dials on the MD-40 are a little harder to use. The auto-rewind is a nice feature to have. I shot two rolls of color negative film that I'll drop off for processing tomorrow, so I can see how the meter reacts under different, changing, lighting conditions.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin