Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,769   Posts: 1,484,211   Online: 875

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Any hints about the Nikon F6

Well, I've got a new Nikon F6 coming in on Monday. I was wondering if anyone who currently uses one has any hints about it. I heard a few things about loading film in it, but can't remember where I saw it.

TIA
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    Well, I've got a new Nikon F6 coming in on Monday. I was wondering if anyone who currently uses one has any hints about it. I heard a few things about loading film in it, but can't remember where I saw it.

TIA
    Robert,

Can't help you out - but do tell us what you think once you start shooting with it.

Not sure how much longer Nikon will be making film gear. They just announced the D3 (virturally a full frame sensor) and D300 (not) - so the F6 is likely to be the last in a long line of great film SLRs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't leave alone around those ULF guys at the conference. All they will do is mock it's tiny negative size and make it feel inadequate.
    Let me ask you something. If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?

- Anton Chigurh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Loading film can be tricky the first time, I found it seems to work best to slide the top of the can in first and then push the bottom into place. There is a little nub at the top of the film chamber that prevents the canister from just dropping in.

I found that occasionally I bump the switch that controls the focusing pattern, so you might want to check that occasionally, so you're focusing where you think you are. I've missed a few shots because the switch moved.

After a few long flights the vibration of the plane loosened the screw that holds the rewind knob on, I noticed when it came loose and the knob wobbled on me when rewinding. I carry a small screwdriver for my glasses, and that worked fine to tighten it up. I should put a small drop of Loctite on it to hold it in place.

Otherwide, it's a great camera. I think it fits in my hand better than any other camera I used because it's a bit smaller than other F series Nikons with motordrives. A plain F4 (not an F4S or F4E) is similar in size, bit not as comfortable. The AF is leaps and bounds ahead of the F4.

One thing I do like is the ability to print the exposure and date data between the frames of film. It does slow down the drive speed if that's important.
    Last edited by Craig; 08-24-2007 at 02:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I agree about loading thhe film it takes a little getting used to. Once when I was loading I pushed in one of the DX sensors and it didn't read my asa correctly. Besides that it is a wonderful camera very easy to get accustomed to. I also like the imprinting between frames of shooting data.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does anyone know why it has the plastic bump which makes film loading more tricky than it should be? Bring back the Pentax 'Majic needle' system; so simple, so neat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No idea what that bump is for. When I got the camera I called Nikon professional services ( or somethign like that) and spoke to a technician and he said not to remove the piece. Instead he told me of the easier way to load film and that has worked well.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Loading film can be tricky the first time, I found it seems to work best to slide the top of the can in first and then push the bottom into place. There is a little nub at the top of the film chamber that prevents the canister from just dropping in.
    That seems to be similar to the way the F5 loads.

Otherwide, it's a great camera. I think it fits in my hand better than any other camera I used because it's a bit smaller than other F series Nikons with motordrives.
    That is kind of one of the downsides for me. I have big hands and like a big camera. But, I ordered an MB-40 grip to go with the camera (even that was expensive). Even on my D200 I have the battery grip.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just a note. The "bump" is also on the F5. It can make things a bit frustrating - particularly when trying to change rolls of film "on the fly" so to speak.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    That is kind of one of the downsides for me. I have big hands and like a big camera.
    It's still not small, just smaller. I've never used an F5, but it is more comfortable than an F4. The grips just seem to fit my hand perfectly. I found an F3 with the MD4 to be comfortable as well, but this is a different sort of camera. If I had to choose two Nikon bodies to use, It would be an F6 and then an F3 in that order.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin