Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,060   Online: 951

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JPD View Post
    The IB has two, but the other one is for the frame in the finder.
    Huh? I thought we were talking about the Ib (little "B") which is a scale focusing only Retina. So just one peep hole, used as the framing device.

And to make this more confusing, wasn't there more than one edition of the IB? Both had a meter cell but one was still scale focus only while the second ("newer") incorporated the rangefinder coupling?

I really need to find my book that has the family tree in it!

p.s. : OK, it gets more confusing (at least for me). Just looked on camerapedia.org and found that there could be as many as three variations of the IB (big "B") but unfortunately, nothing listed for the Ib (little "B"). My head is starting to hurt.
    Last edited by rwyoung; 08-28-2007 at 04:32 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: looked up something on camerapedia.org
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    RW, I can't find my copy of Kehoe either. Its just the right size to be easy to misplace.

I did, though, find my Ib and IB, both where I expected them to be. The IB has two windows so its easy to think that it has a rangefinder. T'ain't so. One of the windows is for looking through and the other collects light to illuminate the framing lines in the finder. The Ib's finder is squintier, but one can live with it.

All folding Retinas but the IIs and IIIs are scale focusing.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rwyoung View Post
    Huh? I thought we were talking about the Ib (little "B") which is a scale focusing only Retina. So just one peep hole, used as the framing device.
    Yes, but you wrote "If it has two peep holes, it has a rangefinder mechanism".

And to make this more confusing, wasn't there more than one edition of the IB? Both had a meter cell but one was still scale focus only while the second ("newer") incorporated the rangefinder coupling?
    Yes, there are two IB models. The first with the smaller finder plus lightmeter, and then the second model with the large brightfinder. But none of them have a rangefinder. The second window on the later IB is only for the frame lines.

p.s. : OK, it gets more confusing (at least for me). Just looked on camerapedia.org and found that there could be as many as three variations of the IB (big "B") but unfortunately, nothing listed for the Ib (little "B"). My head is starting to hurt.
    No, there are only the 018 Ib, 019-I IB and 019-II IB.
    Last edited by JPD; 06-06-2008 at 09:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    The Ib's finder is squintier, but one can live with it.
    Strange, but for me the Ib (small "b") finder is a little better. I don't want the camera to touch my eyeglasses, so I hold it 1cm from them, and can see the framelines perfectly in the finder. I have to hold the IB (big "B") closer.

All folding Retinas but the IIs and IIIs are scale focusing.
    The "c" models you mean. The "S" models are non-folding.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Add to the list: The Retina II and the Retina IIa are folding rangefinders. I'll have to look at my Retina book to see how many Retina II models there are.

The Retina II is knob wind, while the Retina IIa is lever wind (top deck).
    Last edited by elekm; 08-28-2007 at 08:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are several variations of all of them I, II, III and beyond, but the really interesting ones those three and their variants.
    Here's a link to a great site in NZ belonging to a guy who repairs them, lots of good information here.
    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~Srawhiti/index.html

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a pre-war Retina IIa (type 150), with built in rangefinder and Schneider Xenon 2,8/50. This lens is different from the post-war Xenon. It's actually a Xenar with the front element split in two. Three elements in the front, and a cemented pair in the back. Schneider sold these under the name 2,8 Xenar, but for some reason they (or Kodak) chose to call them "Xenon".

The 2,0/50 Xenon is a Xenon, but also different from the post-war version.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    JPD is right, I went back and did some more digging. The IB derived from the Ib and there were two types of IB.

Like I said, this is giving me a headache!

By the way JPD, there seem to be a lot of holes in the camerapedia.org entries for Retinas... How about you sign up and fix that for us? Hint, hint... :-)
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rwyoung View Post
    By the way JPD, there seem to be a lot of holes in the camerapedia.org entries for Retinas... How about you sign up and fix that for us? Hint, hint... :-)
    No, that would give ME a headache! I'm swedish and my english isn't up to encyclopedic standard. There are many articles there that should be updated and corrected. The Rollei articles for example.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm glad I could have the opportunity to bring all of the Retina owners together. Hehe.

I'm going to run a roll through it this afternoon and process for our demo tomorrow in class. Wish me luck!

Oh and thanks again.
    Michael Slade

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin