Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,916   Posts: 1,584,717   Online: 796

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodak Retina Ib - instructions online anywhere?

I'm pretty excited about this new-ish Retina my dad gave me last week. He bought it in Sweden in the 50's and just dug it out recently.

I'm going to shoot all of the assignments I give my basic photo students with it, and I want to make sure I know all of the little 'goodies' this camera can offer.

Anyone know of an on-line instruction manual for this li'l puppy?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On-line, no. But somewhere I have a photocopy of a book. Along the lines of "All about your Retina" sort of thing. A 3rd party publication.

The Retina's in general are pretty simple beasts. It is a scale focusing camera. There should be a nice set of hyper-focal marks around the lens to help you.

The shutter release is the one threaded for a cable. The second smaller button is for releasing the film advance when winding forward or resetting the counter. I can't remember if the Ib has the little sliding button the back that can be used for advancing the counter like my IIc does.

All in all, the Retina's are nifty little cameras. I like the "snick" sound their shutters make! :-)
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here:
    http://www.butkus.org/chinon/kodak/k..._retina_ib.htm

Retina Ib is my favorite small format camera.

If the focus scale is in meters (since it was bought in Sweden), you'll now have the chance to learn the metric system.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JPD View Post
    Here:
    http://www.butkus.org/chinon/kodak/k..._retina_ib.htm

Retina Ib is my favorite small format camera.

If the focus scale is in meters (since it was bought in Sweden), you'll now have the chance to learn the metric system.
    Thanks for the link! I was wondering how the lens could focus so close...then saw that you were correct, it is in meters! Hehe.

Is the rangefinder in the camera supposed to move when I focus? I'll find out I guess when I hit that link!

Tack sa mycket! (I think that's right...).

EDIT:

I had to do a quick 'repair'. I noticed that the little tab for the aperature adjustment was not connecting with the selector lever, and with a quick prod put it back in place. THAT was what was tripping me up trying to set the shutter speed/aperature combo. Whew!
    Last edited by Kimberly Anderson; 08-27-2007 at 03:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh, that's right! I forget about Butkus' site! And it looks like the Ib has all the same basic controls as a IIc.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Slade View Post
    Is the rangefinder in the camera supposed to move when I focus? I'll find out I guess when I hit that link!
    It has no rangefinder, only a finder. That's why you will have to be careful when focussing - in meters. You could use the "zone focus" method as described in the manual, but then you'll have to stop down a lot. Not a method I would recommend if you are going to make enlargements.

I once had five-six Retinas. The IIc and IIIc included. But I sold them all, and kept only the Ib. Small, simple, excellent finder for me with eyeglasses and very sharp lens. I even had a brass plate engraved with my name and year that I riveted to the case.

Now I have six retinas again. Couldn't help myself.

Tack sa mycket! (I think that's right...).
    Varsågod.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Don't forget when you have an "Aaaaaaaaaagh, it's broken!" moment, that the camera locks up when the exposure counter reaches zero!

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Slade View Post
    Any Retina with just one "peep hole" on the front of the camera is a scale focusing (I mentioned that the Ib is scale focusing above). If it has two peep holes, it has a rangefinder mechanism. And the Retinas had a pretty small finder, so lots of squinting!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    rw, I don't have my cameras or my reference material here at work with me, but IIRC the IB (not the OP's Ib, I have one of each) and the IIIC (not IIIc) have beautiful big finders. The Ib, as the OP asked how to use, has a finder that's nowhere near as, um, squinty as earlier Retinas' finders. But you're right, the old ones are very squinty.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rwyoung View Post
    Any Retina with just one "peep hole" on the front of the camera is a scale focusing (I mentioned that the Ib is scale focusing above). If it has two peep holes, it has a rangefinder mechanism. And the Retinas had a pretty small finder, so lots of squinting!
    The IB has two, but the other one is for the frame in the finder.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin