Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,175   Online: 952

Thread: Zeiss ZF 2/100

Shooter
    35mm

Zeiss ZF 2/100

I beleive in Zeiss lenses, and would like to have one on my F6. It is why I spend so much time looking how they perform. ZF 100 mm macro, as I saw pictures, perform nothing so visible behind 100R Leica. However I got a brake from Cosina made. As Kuhiko from Japan, one of apuger, once stated, Cosina product are of no match to Nikon.
    Looks I finaly gave up on ZF lenses, not Zeiss but Cosina part. As Kuhiko said they are pin(the best)-kiri(bad), optic being pin and Cosina works being kiri.
    Here is what I found.

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Lrfe

I am not looking to blame anyone, especially Zeiss, I just got diappointed from the cooperant Cosina. Finaly I will clean all my house from papers about ZF lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Daniel,
    get a nice AIs 105 2.5 and don't look back.

erie

Shooter
    35mm
    Epat
    I already have it. Brand new. Might be I just do not know real value of that lens. Imade just several shuts and looks it is nice lens for portraits. The only issue I have is that focusing ring is too easy to turn. Even it turns itself when I position the lens vertically. Do you know the reason?

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know if Cosina actually manufacture some/all of the Nikon mount Zeiss lenses but if they do, I don't see the problem. They do manufacture the current ranges of Voigtlander lenses and these frequently get rave reviews in photographic magazines. So clearly they have a very high level of manufacture and quality control for these lenses, and I don't doubt it would be the same case if they are manufacturing for Zeiss.

If you reject these lenses just because of Cosina involvement, then you are, imho, following the words of the old saying about "cutting off your nose to spite your face".

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nikon 105mm F2.5 AIS

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel-OB View Post
    Epat
    I already have it. Brand new. Might be I just do not know real value of that lens. Imade just several shuts and looks it is nice lens for portraits. The only issue I have is that focusing ring is too easy to turn. Even it turns itself when I position the lens vertically. Do you know the reason?
    On the Nikon 105mm f2.5 AIS, the focus tension can be adjusted. This was a feature on AIS lenses. When they get older, the lens can be more loose. The adjustment is not simple to do on your own, since the back lens mount needs to be removed.

It might be cheaper or easier to get a less used 105mm, than to have your current one adjusted. These are plentiful on the used market, or at places like KEH in Atlanta.

On Zeiss items: there are Zeiss branded lens on Sony products, but with only Zeiss design, and not Zeiss quality control. With Zeiss products made through Cosina, including the Ikon and most ZM lenses, there is a separate quality and inspection team from Zeiss in Japan. In other words, if a lens failed to meet inspection standards, then it would not pass for sale to the public. This is very different from super budget Cosina branded lenses, or lenses and cameras Cosina makes for other companies (Nikon FM10, for example). Erwin Puts comments on newer Zeiss ZM lenses would be a better gauge of quality than some random comments on Photo.net.

However, if I were to consider the ZF 100mm f2.0, I would do so mostly as a macro lens, and not as a portrait lens. I think the Nikon 105mm f2.5 has characteristics as a portrait lens that are nearly impossible to better with any other lens, and I am not alone in that assessment. Save your money, and stick with the Nikkor.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gordon,
    for those of us "more adventurous" types, do tell...

erie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you removed the rear lens mount on most AIS Nikon lenses, you might see three tabs about 120º apart. These tabs have a screw adjustment. Warning: if you get it wrong you potentially destroy a lens. I don't consider it adventurous, though if you understand the risk . . . . . .

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    always wondered about those, I've been using a slightly heavier silicone grease on my focusing helicals, as it provides just the right feel to me, at least til it gets about 10 degrees below zero....I know that there must be some greases with negative viscosity temperature coefficients, just haven't found them yet.

erie

Shooter
    35mm
    Gordon
    Thanks for useful advice.

...In other words, if a lens failed to meet inspection standards, then it would not pass for sale to the public...

Do you think that what is posted on that connection about diaphragm is normal? Two guys in random, or otherwise how else it can happen than random. Lens that cost around $2000 US with tax, add filters.... Zeiss name on it, and bad diaphragm is nothing? Well I just cannot imagine how I would feel if it happen to me, or any garanty it will not happen if I order the lens. Or might be something else will be wrong, or might be nothing?
    I think that someone from Zeiss should explain it. They sometimes come to this site and once said about the lenses (ZF): "... they are new and improved design..." Well Gordon, I really would like to have Zeiss lens, but I am not so rich so I have to buy Leica.

I accept mistake or error is possible, but who should pay for that mistake. It looks also to me Zeiss is changing seals to mainstream or consumers and really is after "new and improved".

www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Erie, there is a seller on EBAY from Japan who sells a few varieties of helical grease, and sells some camera tools. He is not always on EBAY, though when he runs a group of items for sale next, you might want to get a different grease. The tabs are an interesting adjustment, though if you do try those be careful near full extension (closest) and ∞ (infinity); get it wrong (too tight) and the lens will bind.

Daniel, any new product can be a piece of sh*t out of the box. I have never heard of a 100% fault free product, and that includes Rolex, Leica, and several other elite brands. I know three different people that returned a brand new from Leica M7 and one who returned an M6TTL, all right out of the box, and all covered under warranty. This is why there is a warranty.

You have to remember that people who post on the internet (and Photo.net and APUG are not exceptions) are more likely to bitch about things, than they are to praise them. So a couple of people had a problem, decided rather than get a replacement under warranty that they would post their grievances on the internet . . . in my opinion there are people in the world who are habitual complainers and rather than deal with things as rational people would prefer to drag their perceived wrong all over the internet.

There is a warranty, and to directly answer your question, the manufacturer pays for that warranty. That does not mean the manufacturer should buy you a free meal when you are unhappy . . . they only need to replace that item you are not happy using, or refund your money.

So Daniel, I serious do not care whether you ever buy a Zeiss lens, nor do I care if you think they are the worst crap ever made. It is your money, and you need to spend it in a direction in which you feel comfortable. So when you see some great image from some photographer, and then find out later what lens was used, don't be shocked . . . and remember it is not the lens, nor the camera, it is all down to the talent and creative vision of that person behind the gear.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin