Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,950   Posts: 1,557,890   Online: 940

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Derek,
    are you sure about lens compatibility with the new dig-slr's? It is my impression that anything with a K-mount will work on the newer one, but perhaps not on the istD.
    - Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Lofgreen View Post
    I shoot with the *ist 35mm. I love it. It is small, light and has all the functions of a great prosumer SLR, from full manual and spot metering to several auto settings and matrix metering. The only drawback is that only lenses that have the A on the aperature ring are fully compatable with it (just like their DSLRs). Another good one is the PZ-1, it's a little loud but a great slr.

D.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All K mount lenses are usable, but only the Ka versions will give you all the program modes and bells and whistles. On the DPReview website, tons of pentaxians are using older lenses with the K10 and K100 and older digi bodies. Some folks complain of CA problems, but not in all cases. There are camera settings to be made to tell the camera what lens you are using if it's a non KA type.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mostly is has to do with the metering and program modes. It will still work fine in Manual with a center weighted spot metering as the default without the KA lens.
    My Photography Site www.lofgreenimages.com and My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for clearing that up, I was getting nervous there for a while...

To the original poster. There is a lens that might seem tempting, because it's super fast, and that is the 50mm f/1.4. I had one of those. Not that good. The best normal lens they ever made was the 55mm f/2. The 50mm f/1.7 flies in just behind. Both are great lenses, and will suit you very well, and as a bonus they are usually cheaper than the 1.4.

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Moxom View Post
    All K mount lenses are usable, but only the Ka versions will give you all the program modes and bells and whistles. On the DPReview website, tons of pentaxians are using older lenses with the K10 and K100 and older digi bodies. Some folks complain of CA problems, but not in all cases. There are camera settings to be made to tell the camera what lens you are using if it's a non KA type.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of the OM2n, however, I do own an ME Super. It's "auto" mode is aperture-priority, and it does have a manual mode (with up/down shutter speed selector buttons on the top of the camera - which I honestly haven't used that much since I picked up the camera a couple of months ago - I bought it primarily for the AP functionality, and because it's very compact).

I actually like the LED shutter-speed-selection meter quite a bit - largely because the LED is green down to 1/30, and orange below that - handy to use in low-light, as many people, myself included, can't reliably handhold an SLR below 1/30 without camera shake.

So, not a direct answer to the question, but I'm definitely in favour of the ME Super in general if you're looking for something compact and easy to use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thomas -- thanks for the heads up on those lenses. I'll keep that in mind.

Mabman -- I'll have to check out that meter. I have had times when I couldn't see my meter in the Oly shooting at a concert or night shots....LED's might be nice to have.

There's a repair/used camera shop in town with a pretty wide array of analog gear. I'll have to go check out what he has and play with a few cameras.

Thanks to all for the info and please keep it coming.

Adam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm, why switch? You can use your OM glass, which in my totally biased opinion is every bit as good as any available, on the e-series digital cameras. Yes, I know the 2X factor. The wide DZ glass is nice and your OM 50mm f1.2 becomes a 100mm f1.2. That aisn't too bad. I just did some candid stuff at an event with my 85mm f2 on the e-1, so figure 170mm f2 and the reslts are fabulous. If you decide to dumb your OM stuff, I can provide for safe disposal of these junky cameras. Bill Barber

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The K1000 is a great all-around camera, if you don't any information in the viewfinder. The KX displays the aperture and shutter speed and provide match-needle metering.

One nice thing about the Pentax K and M series cameras is that they use the LR44 batteries, which are commonly available.

cao
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    To the original poster. There is a lens that might seem tempting, because it's super fast, and that is the 50mm f/1.4. I had one of those. Not that good.

- Thomas
    Which version? Also, could you simply have had a bad sample? I have a 50/1.4 SMC Tak on my knock about camera that gives me very punchy crisp images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah -- more good advice.

Hey "nsurit", can you meter through the OM lenses with the e-series cameras?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin