Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,455   Online: 1036

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cao View Post
    Which version? Also, could you simply have had a bad sample? I have a 50/1.4 SMC Tak on my knock about camera that gives me very punchy crisp images.
    The Pentax 50/1.4 is generally considered to be one of the best 50/1.4's available. My Super-Tak is excellent, and the newer ones just get better (but lack the lovely single-coated glow of the Super-Tak's)

Shooter
    35mm
    I have to agree on the KX. As they say, 'built like a tank'. Totally reliable. As it is all manual, pick up a P50 to go with it. I found one near mint for $40. It is electronic and fully automatic but is solid and well made and with its program modes it makes a great point and shoot to go with the KX and look at the choice of amazing lenses.

Shooter
    35mm

Pentax cameras

Quote Originally Posted by geauxpez View Post
    I am considering selling off my Olympus OM equipment (2 OM2n bodies and an array of lenses) and investing in Pentax stuff. The idea being that the K-mount is still compatible with bodies (film and otherwise ) that are still being manufactured. What Pentax model is similar to the OM2n as far as features? Manual and aperture priority settings, DOF preview, fairly compact, sturdy, etc. I understand the LX had "mirror issues" and can be fairly pricy. Any suggestions (camera-wise, that is) would be welcomed.

Adam
    I would recommend PZ-1p, Pentax's second last film pro-body. It can be had from e-bay for about 100 dollars. A wonderful camera. Closer to Your OM2 would be Super A (or Super Program in USA), small and handy non-AF-body. One of my own favourites anyhow is fully manual (only the meter (not shutter) needs electricity) KX which has DOF preview and MLU and is built like a tank.

Väinö Louekari

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My favourite is the MX (I have three of them!) equipped with a 50/1.4 or a 40/2.8. About the same size as the OM2 but all manual. I recently bought Beattie screens for the MX and got a bright viewfinder equal to any modern SLR. If you aim for AE-features (like the OM2), LX and K2 are great options. However, the OM2 is such a great design so think twice before selling it - you may end up missing it deeply...
    - You will develop when you become an analog photographer / Exposed Material / Monochromes

Shooter
    35mm
    I've inherited a couple of K1000's, which still work just fine without any maintenance (although they both need new mirror foam).

However, my personal favourite currently is the ME Super, primarily due to the aperture-priority function along with an exposure compensation dial, as well as it's small size, which fits very well in my hands - I do have the standard k-mount SMC Takumar 50/2, but I usually use it with an M42 screwmount adaptor and a variety of M42 lenses, which are (generally) going for a song these days (I'm a particular fan of the 85/2 Jupiter-9 - a Russian clone of the Zeiss Sonnar design - good for portraits).

So, if you're OK with manual stop-down metering, M42 lenses via an adaptor (the generic version of which I got from B&H - the official ones from Pentax are hard to come by) are another option.

Just to mention, I got the ME Supers (2 of them) from KEH in "bgn" condition - one of which worked just fine out of the box, and the other needed an overhaul - but even overhauled it still cost a total of less than $200
    Last edited by mabman; 10-26-2007 at 02:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might also want to consider a Chinon CE 4 or a late model Ricoh. Both had winders, auto exposure, and are real cheap on ebay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a whack of Pentaxes. 2 MEsupers, K1000, Spotmatic, SP1000, KX. They are all built solid and have never given me any problems. I would suggest getting a screw mount and a K mount body so you don't have to screw around (pun intended) with the screw-to-K-mount-adapter. As for the Pentax lenses, I have yet to find a poor one.
    As for durability, back in the 70's, the strap broke on my camera as I was riding my motorcycle. I watched the camera (in the case) bouncing along the pavement. I picked it up, expecting the worst. The case was scuffed up something awful, but the camera was fine! Try that test with a plastic digiwhatsit and see what happens.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin