Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,974   Posts: 1,558,726   Online: 799

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Expired Slide Film Question

While digging through an old drawer I found a couple of rolls of Kodak Elite Chrome slide film. One is ISO 200, the other ISO 400. Both have expiration dates of 2005. Can I still use them? If so, should I over or underexpose a stop or two? They have been stored away in a drawer inside my house, temperature always a constant 77 degrees farenheit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Snegron, you worry too much.

You don't have enough cartridges to test. So shoot them, but in a non-critical application, and be happy. Or toss them and be happy.

E6 films don't lose much sensitivity as they age, they gain base fog and lose color accuracy. Some of my out-of-date Kodak E-6 films that had been severely abused had a noticeable shift to the magenta.

Go, continue shrinking, and be happy,

Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    They're only two years past-date. What's the big deal?

You're a regular on this site. How many times have you seen threads about folks shoot 20 or 30 year old film?

Just shoot the stuff!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    They're only two years past-date. What's the big deal?

You're a regular on this site. How many times have you seen threads about folks shoot 20 or 30 year old film?

Just shoot the stuff!
    Yes, there have been many threads about expired film, but they have been mostly about B/W film, not medium ISO color silde film.

p.s., I thought you especially might find this tidbit very interesting: On the back of both film boxes there is a message that reads "Kodak Color Slides Make Great Digital Images"

It continues, "Try scanning Kodak slide film to create digital files that can be enhanced on your computer and shared by e-mail or used to create superb prints."

If Kodak says it, it must be true!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    Yes, there have been many threads about expired film, but they have been mostly about B/W film, not medium ISO color silde film.

p.s., I thought you especially might find this tidbit very interesting: On the back of both film boxes there is a message that reads "Kodak Color Slides Make Great Digital Images"

It continues, "Try scanning Kodak slide film to create digital files that can be enhanced on your computer and shared by e-mail or used to create superb prints."

If Kodak says it, it must be true!
    I scan all my slides - even the Fujichromes!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Can I just scan it to my computer instead of paying to have it processed at the lab?

- Justin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cafeharrar View Post
    Can I just scan it to my computer instead of paying to have it processed at the lab?

- Justin
    Interesting idea.

Your koan of the day: when film has been exposed but not processed, where is the image?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Interesting idea.

Your koan of the day: when film has been exposed but not processed, where is the image?

In Latentland?

There's a very good chance that well outdated/poorly stored colour film will have some odd colour cast as the different emulsion layers die off at different rates – can be interesting, can be rubbish, will be unpredictable. Why not go the whole hog and slap a brightly coloured filter on it?

Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    Another answer to the original question is to use the film for cross-processing, where color accuracy isn't the goal.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i use MF color slide and color neg film that is from 2004 and newer with no problems.

eddie
    photoshop is somewhere you go to buy photo equipment.

lens photos here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin