Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,474   Posts: 1,644,316   Online: 1057

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

doubling up sync cords

So my camera has a female pc socket and my flash has a female pc socket so I need a male to male pc cord, right?
    Except I need the connection to reach about 30 feet and a 30ft male to male seems to be hard to find soooo..........

Could I use a 30ft male to female then just use a 12" male to male, plugging one end of the 12" into the female end of the 30ft and the other end into the flash?

Is it okay to double up sync cords like that? Is there a different type of connection I should be using? (I cant afford radio slaves at the moment)

Thanks
    Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The cost of a 30' cable is likely more then the cheapy radio slaves from Ebay. Are you sure that's what you need? Male to male? But ya patching cords works.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jwchayse View Post
    So my camera has a female pc socket and my flash has a female pc socket so I need a male to male pc cord, right?
    Except I need the connection to reach about 30 feet and a 30ft male to male seems to be hard to find soooo..........

Could I use a 30ft male to female then just use a 12" male to male, plugging one end of the 12" into the female end of the 30ft and the other end into the flash?

Is it okay to double up sync cords like that? Is there a different type of connection I should be using? (I cant afford radio slaves at the moment)

Thanks
    Jon
    You can:
    camera->male_pc-->male_household :: female extension cord =====//==== \
    ====male end of cord<--female_household<--male_pc

OR...
    Just save yourself some trouble and get some wireless syncs from someone like gadget infinity. I rig up 2 or 3 vivitars with ductape into one umbrella.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've heard household is a little more secure, but I cant seem to find a pc male to household female.

Oh actually you know come to think of it, see this whole thing is for a shoot Im doing next week and I was going to rent a hasselblad for it, do hassy lenses have regular pc sockets or some special proprietary hasselblad socket?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Another option is a 'three way'

Not sure of the proper name for the PC signal splitter I have.

It has one male PC, so that a standard male to female cord from the camera fits that, and three females, so up to the flash haeds fits into them. I call it my sputnik, because it looks liked a little satellite with all the differnet connectors on this bit of plastic.

I use it for triggering my main and background light when doing portraits; the background light sits behind and under the posing stool, and the crumby slave I have for it is not always sensitive to fire when so shileded. On the third leg I connect up the bottom portion of an old dead cold shoe flashe that has a fashe test button on it. Pressing the button causes the flashes to fire without needing to unplug anything from the camera.

Someday I will have radio synched strobes trigger, but not while there are things like the kids swimming lessons, soccer league, etc. to pay for.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would just get a 12" male to male, cut it in half and lengthen it with some cheap twin core cable. Twist the joints together and cover with insulating tape.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    do hassy lenses have regular pc sockets or some special proprietary hasselblad socket?

Well, sort of. Paramount makes "long tip" cords specifically for Hasselblads (CF lenses, in particular I think). Other cords may or may not work reliably---there seems to be considerable variation which other equipment tolerates more gracefully.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin