Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,913   Posts: 1,556,266   Online: 878

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    I remember there was one weird, cheapo and unreliable pseudo-model made by a company in HK under a short-lived license from Nikon. A marketing mistake that Nikon quickly and quietly "forgot" about...
    Nikkorex, non-interchangeable lens.
    Nikkorex F, body made by Mamiya
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    Actually, if you read this site:
    http://www.aiconversions.com/

he claims that you still can't put an unmodified Pre-Ai lens on these bodies.
    Actually, if you see :http://www.aiconversions.com/d70etc.htm he notes that the D40/D40X are safe to mount non-AI lenses on without conversion.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Copake ham has it nearly all right. The first "low end" Nikon mount camera sold by Nikon in the USA was the Nikkorex F. IIRC, it was made by Richo for Nikon. It was not highly regarded. The Nikkormat (Nikkomat outside the USA) came after the much despised Nikkorex. I believe Nikon also used the Nikkorex appellation for a fixed mount Nikon with the earliest 43-86 zoom lens permanently stuck on it. IIRC.
    The Nikkorex F was a Mamiya product, but the design and jigs got sold to Ricoh and it was later produced as the Singlex under the Ricoh and Sears brands.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mawz View Post
    Actually, if you see :http://www.aiconversions.com/d70etc.htm he notes that the D40/D40X are safe to mount non-AI lenses on without conversion.
    Ahh - you're right - I was looking at the D80, D50, etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mawz View Post
    The Nikkorex F was a Mamiya product, but the design and jigs got sold to Ricoh and it was later produced as the Singlex under the Ricoh and Sears brands.

Indeed and I still have mine. It still works, and it still makes a noise like a steam hammer. It came with quite a nice f1.4 lens which had the bayonet flanges slightly tweaked so that it could not be used on Nikon bodies (though most Nikon lenses could be used on the Singlex body). Obviously the designers had never heard of metal files as it was a simple enough job to file down the offending flange. That was in about 1966 and it was my first "serious" camera. I've been using (real) Nikons ever since.

Richard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin