Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,655   Online: 1196

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Pinhole

AF Nikkor 28/2.8D question

Question(s):

I was given an AF Nikkor 28 mm f/2.8 D lens.

An employee loaned her camera to her son for a class at school & he unfortunately for someone came home with an extra lens. It didn't fit her old Nikon F or whatever old cameras it was.

Visually the glass is great, but I am trying to determine if it was mishandled because it has what I consider an odd characteristic.

If the lens is tilted back & forth 180 degrees while holding the outer barrel only, a little 'play' is apparent (a VERY slight thunk, can feel more than hear)). Gripping the inner portion (part that extends in/out with focus ring and where push-on front lens cap would mount) and outer barrel and the movement is gone.

My guess is, it either has a problem or it's different than non-AF manual lenses because it's motorized.

If someone has one of these can you please tell me if this is a normal or abnormal observation, and what camera bodies it fits (maybe I can find someone to test it locally).

Since I have no Nikon, I would either sell it or if it's defective, hack it onto some other camera body for an experiment, or take it apart (a habit I have).

Thank you

Murray
    Last edited by Murray@uptowngallery; 09-07-2007 at 03:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    AF lenses have more play and a lighter/looser focus action than MF lenses so that is normal. Nikor AF lenses will fit all nikons made for Ai and newer, but not the old F ( I think, IIRC )
    Kind regards
    Søren
    Last edited by Soeren; 09-07-2007 at 07:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Thanks Soeren.

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It should fit any Nikon made, It won't meter with the older bodies 'cus it has no prong ie:it's prongless, much like a dead parrot.

Don't relly know why that slipped in, just seemed appropriate.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    It should fit any Nikon made......
    Bingo!

The Nikon F-mount is unchanged for the last 50 years!

You can use this lens on a Nikon F if you so desire. If stop-down metering doesn't work then either use an external meter or the Sunny/16 rule.

The great thing about the F-mount lens system is that they can be used on any Nikon SLR and DSLR in some fashion or other.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Thanks all.

John, off the wall comments couldn't be directed to a more appropriate person :O).

George, I seem to remember her having something with a name related to Nikon, like Nikkormat?

I don't know if she tried fitting and concluded it wouldn't or was told it wouldn't 'work'.

Anyway, time to decide what to do with it.

Thanks
    Murray

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray@uptowngallery View Post
    Thanks all.

John, off the wall comments couldn't be directed to a more appropriate person :O).

George, I seem to remember her having something with a name related to Nikon, like Nikkormat?

I don't know if she tried fitting and concluded it wouldn't or was told it wouldn't 'work'.

Thanks
    The Non-Ai Nikon cameras ( the F, F2, and most Nikkormats except for the Ft8 and the EL2) need the prong on the lenses aperture ring to couple with the meter. In the past, you could have Nikon put the prong on a prongless lens for about $30.00 - you may still find someone to do this for you. If you're interested, you might want to post a question over at www.nikonians.org

Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray@uptowngallery View Post
    Thanks all.

Thanks
    Back in the day, Nikon was uncertain how to respond to market demand for a cheaper version of the "F".

Finally they decided to come out with the Nikkormat FTN (which itself was a bit of a confusion as there was a version of the F known as the FTn! - sometimes upper and lower case letters have meanings).

Anyway, the Nikkormat FTN was a more basic SLR but uses the F-mount. After the FTN, there were several other Nikkormats including the FT2 (my first SLR), FT3 and an EL series.

Ultimately, Nikon dropped the Nikkormat nomenclature for "second tier" models.

But just like "real" Nikons, the Nikkormats all use the F-mount.

Oh, and the "mat" in the Nikkormat nomenclature indicates they all have built-in metering systems.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Thank you.
    Murray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Stop-down metering with AF lenses works just fine on Nikkormats, I do it regularly on my FTn with a 20/2.8 AF that's prongless.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin