Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,894   Online: 1140

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Which film for blues fest.

Our annual jazz & blues festival starts up this Thursday night with a tribute to "The prime minister of the blues,the late Dutchi Mason".No film cameras allowed,BUT,digi is o.k.Go figure eh?
    I plan on taking an Olympus XA-2 to shoot the outdoor scenes and am wondering which film to choose.Push tri-x to 800,pull 3200 to 800,or use 800 color?The XA-2 will maxes out at 800 asa.

Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The XA-2 is far from an ideal tool for music photography, since I see that it sports a 35 mm f3.5 lens, whereas the camera of choice would be a Leica (or failing that, an SLR) with an 85 to 90 lens of the largest possible aperture (f2 or better f1.4). Also the zone focusing will be tricky to operate in the dark (take a small torch with you). About the only chance of getting pictures will be with maximum speed film (800 color, or Iflord Delta 3200, which has a true ISO of 1000). If it is a smaller festival and you can get close to the performers, you could get some good shots, anything more than 10 feet away and your chances diminish greatly! I would use negative film in any case, if you are photographing a spotlight performer against a dark ground, the camera will overexpose and there does not seem to be any means of compensating for this.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it were me I would use a high ISO film for maximum grain to capture that night time bluesy atmosphere.
    Last edited by Andy K; 09-09-2007 at 05:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Thanks David/Harald.

Love to take my Pentax MX and 40mm lens but it doesn't look like that's an option.Maybe if I beg the head honcho he will give me a break and allow one SLR with traditional format. Barring that it will have to be an easily concealed P&S.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you have a rangefinder of some sort?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Andy (sorry for the name screw up).I have a few rangefinders but nothing that I could easily conceal.
    Best options would be the XA-2 or my LC-A.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just curious--did the organizers give any reason why film is banned but digital is welcomed?

Why do I keep expecting people to operate logically? I'm like charlie brown trying to kick Lucy's football....
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think an XA would definitely be better than an XA2 for this task.

In terms of film, hp5+ would be my own choice, if the light is there; otherwise maybe neopan 1600 or delta 3200 at 1600.

Can you smuggle in a medium format tlr?!

Sounds like a really fun opportunity, enjoy it!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    Hi Andy (sorry for the name screw up).I have a few rangefinders but nothing that I could easily conceal.
    Best options would be the XA-2 or my LC-A.

I have an LC-A too, I would take that, but not alone, I would take something else as a backup.

Shooter
    35mm
    So how are they going to tell the difference from physical appearance of a DSLR and SLR? They going to have guards standing around checking for SLRs?

I'd take a Nikon F3HP with 85mm f1.4 and Kodak Max 800 ASA, possibly bumped to 1600 depending on the lighting. If I had two good hiding places I'd also take a 35mm f1.4.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin