Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,430   Online: 912

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    2) if you don't use the timer then depress the shutter button not with your fingertip but rather the more fleshy part of your finger, that reduces the finger impulse.
    There's a device here: http://www.cameraquest.com/voigtMSR.htm the soft-minirelease that they claim helps a lot with this issue.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    the stronger your hands and arms are, the less quickly they will become fatigued; fatigue can lead to trembling. So strengthen your arms and hands.

And use a tripod!
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might look into the techniques that competition target shooters (espcially pistol shooters) use, as they have a similar need to hold stready.

Images
    Run holding a full to the brim cup of McDonalds Coffee. Don't drink it, just run with it. I guess water would work too, but there is no consequence for spilling water on your hand.

Actually holding still is not so much a matter of strength as it is a matter of relaxation. A school principal I used to work for was also a top notch long range marksman, in whatever category uses a rifle without a scope and from a standing position. He professed relaxation, breathing, and a calm focus. If I get into a rifle-holding stance, and relax my shoulders a lot, I can handhold up to 80mm on a 35mm down to 1/25 pretty darn consistently. My MF camera is awkward to handhold and I am not as consistent but I think the weight helps sometimes. But, I would rather use a tripod.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mobbs View Post
    Quit drinking whiskey, ........................
    Best regards,

Bill
    This is incorrect unless you do not like whiskey.
    Always carry at least one half pint of your favorite 80 Proof and consume as needed until you achieve success at those attempts at 1/4 and 1/2 second rigid catatonic states.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    You might look into the techniques that competition target shooters (espcially pistol shooters) use, as they have a similar need to hold stready.
    "It's hard to hold steady when half your friends are dead already."

Sorrry, couldn't resist the quote from one of my favorite bands...

The breathing out thing works for me. Also, if you have a fancy SLR w/ motor drive, try taking 2 photos with continuous drive. The second photo might not have as much shake since you're not punching the release.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post

The breathing out thing works for me. ...
    Standard technique since the dawn of (photographic) time has been:
    Breathe in slowly, breathe out slowly, hold your breath for one second (no more, you'll become self-conscious and make things worse) and squeeze the release gently but firmly in a continuous motion (obviously jabbing the release will give camera shake, no matter what else you do).

Regards,

David

Shooter
    35mm
    Cut down on American coffee (ground variety). This weekend past, I went to a village scarecrow competition close to where I live. People had built amazing scarecrows outside their houses.Great photo opportunities. The whole village was a kind of "open house" and at one house a genuine Texas lady was serving genuine Texas coffee. Very nice but very strong. I was super alert after one cup, would have defended the Alamo after two and chased the Mexicans back across the Rio Grande after three and been banned from competing in the Tour de France for life!

If I drank as much coffee as I do tea and I don't do that excessively, I'd be seriously "twitchy".

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I still use the method I learned to fire a rifle as a young marine recruit more than forty years ago, to control your breathing, and take first pressure on the trigger ( taking up the slack) or shutter release then gently squeeze.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    There's a device here: http://www.cameraquest.com/voigtMSR.htm the soft-minirelease that they claim helps a lot with this issue.
    I use a cable release whenever I think finger impulse might be an issue. My nuttiest experiment was to push on a long bulb release with my foot. It works well, but it's not cool looking. Better to use a timer

Regarding breathing, I do personally find that my hand action is best while I slowly exhale. Holding my breath doesn't help one iota, for me personally!

Then there is the string tripod...
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin