Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,504   Posts: 1,543,470   Online: 945

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    I have to be honest, I was so intrigued by this I checked out my F3HP.

I had a 50mm mounted on it (i.e. "normal" lens) and did not see any wide angling at the edges.

I then mounted a 28mm on it. Still do not see any "wide angling" at the edges.

But I must say, I was reminded of how wide open the F3HP viewfinder is versus my F5/F100 gear.
    I'm not 100% certain, but I think that the F5 and F100 incorporated the HP viewfinder in their design. You would probably notice the difference on an older Nikon F, F2 or any of the compact series (FM, FE, etc.)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The F3HP viewfinder has a .72x magnification vs. .8x magnification for the non HP finder. This difference may be what you're seeing.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The new F6 has a 0.74x magnification.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    I'm not 100% certain, but I think that the F5 and F100 incorporated the HP viewfinder in their design. You would probably notice the difference on an older Nikon F, F2 or any of the compact series (FM, FE, etc.)
    I don't know about the F5, but I do know the F100 has a high eyepoint (HP) finder.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The HP finder is one of my main beefs with the F3 (apart from the horrid LCD). While it's great for eyeglass wearers, the lower magnification and higher eyepoint make it distinctly inferior to the F2's finders for non-eyeglass wearers.

And finding a non-HP finder for an F3 is difficult these days.

Note that while all the post-F3 pro bodies have a high eyepoint finder, they do not have as much eye relief as the F3HP's 25mm, typically the newer bodies are in the 22-23mm range. This makes for a better finder for those not wearing glasses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    I wonder if the field of view is affected when using a wide angle lens then? For example, when I use a 24mm lens I will notice a bit of distortion in the image (wide angle effect). Will I see this effect increased through an HP finder vs. a regular finder? If so, then it won't be possible to obtain a truely accurate view of an image (what it will look like on print) when using a wide angle lens with an F3HP. In other words, the only way to know for sure what the image is going to look like with a wide angle lens while using an F3HP is after the image is printed.

Intersting theory especially because in all the years I have used an F3HP, the widest lens I have used has been a 35mm lens! For the most part the lenses I have used with the F3 have been a 35mm, a 50mm and a 105mm. Only recently (last year) did I purchase a 24mm lens, but I have mostly used it with an old F with Ftn Photomic head.
    I think you're thinking yourself into a corner here. It's SIMPLY that the F3HP finder will show you exactly what you get on film. There's NO optical trickery whatsoever to it. No wide angle distortion that isn't ALREADY there. It is more accurate than the finder on other cameras from the perspective that it shows you the WHOLE frame. However - one can ALSO make the argument that the lesser angle of view of a 'lesser' camera will mimic the cropping induced by the rebate in a negative carrier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mawz View Post
    The HP finder is one of my main beefs with the F3 (apart from the horrid LCD). While it's great for eyeglass wearers, the lower magnification and higher eyepoint make it distinctly inferior to the F2's finders for non-eyeglass wearers.

And finding a non-HP finder for an F3 is difficult these days.

Note that while all the post-F3 pro bodies have a high eyepoint finder, they do not have as much eye relief as the F3HP's 25mm, typically the newer bodies are in the 22-23mm range. This makes for a better finder for those not wearing glasses.
    Hi. What on EARTH are you talking about?? The F3 has no LCD. Are you thinking of the F4??? I'm not an eyeglass wearer and I find the F3HP to be VASTLY superior (brighter, bigger, easier to see, etc) than the F2s that I've tried.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Hi. What on EARTH are you talking about?? The F3 has no LCD. Are you thinking of the F4??? I'm not an eyeglass wearer and I find the F3HP to be VASTLY superior (brighter, bigger, easier to see, etc) than the F2s that I've tried.
    The little window in the viewfinder that displays your shutter speed is an LCD.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmmm... can't recall - I thought it was an LED display. Could it be that some were LED (early ones)? It's been 7 years since I've had one though (F3/T).

Shooter
    35mm
    It comes down to the magnification. The HP finders have a magnification of .74 the FE2's magnifications .92 (This is from memory). So with a 50mm lens focused at infinity the F3HP viewfinder is 3/4's life size and the FE2 is .92 life size.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin