Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,551   Posts: 1,573,118   Online: 734

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Hmmm... can't recall - I thought it was an LED display. Could it be that some were LED (early ones)? It's been 7 years since I've had one though (F3/T).
    Nope. They all had tiny LCD displays on the front edge of the mirror box. These LCD displays have been considered by many as one of the flaws of the F3 due to its sensitivity to extreme temperatures, poor visibility, etc.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    Nope. They all had tiny LCD displays on the front edge of the mirror box. These LCD displays have been considered by many as one of the flaws of the F3 due to its sensitivity to extreme temperatures, poor visibility, etc.
    Are you referring to the LCD display that shows the shutter speed in Aperture Priority mode? The ones on each of my three F3HPs are quite bright and readable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    For my money - the F3HP HAD no flaws. I had no problems or issues with mine at any time. I loved it - and it was, by a LONG shot, the best 35mm I'd ever used. If only people actually USED their cameras more, and stopped just sittin' on their duffs looking at them...! (that wasn't a personal jab - just in case it be taken that way)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    For my money - the F3HP HAD no flaws.
    Eh? A camera with no flaws? Even my MP isn't perfect, but I'd much rather use it than an F3.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Eh? A camera with no flaws? Even my MP isn't perfect, but I'd much rather use it than an F3.
    Here we go!

Roger pops in with an OT post and now we'll wind up debating:

1) RF v. SLR
    2) German glass v. Japanese glass
    3) Cameras that use batteries v. those that don't
    4) Trekking in the Himalayas

etc. etc.

Fasten your seat belts everyone....

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Here we go!

Roger pops in with an OT post and now we'll wind up debating:

1) RF v. SLR
    2) German glass v. Japanese glass
    3) Cameras that use batteries v. those that don't
    4) Trekking in the Himalayas

etc. etc.

Fasten your seat belts everyone....
    In the end it all makes for nail-biting fun though! After all, why sould we be wasting time going out and shooting pictures when instead we can all be in here having such wonderfuly colorful debates?

I say we give the debates a kick start! Here goes:

1. "RF vs. SLR"- I won't go there because I don't own a rangefinder yet, but hopefully sometime soon I will!

2. "German glass vs. Japanese glass." - Everyone knows that Japanese glass is better.

3. "Cameras that use batteries vs. those that don't." - I'm sure we have all learned by know that the quality of a camera is measured by its ability to function without a battery. The less battery dependent, the better the camera. A known fact. Real photographers don't need meters or auto exposure anyway, just accurate mechanical shutter speeds and reliable apertures.

4. "Treking in the Himalayas" - The only camera capable of surviving 24 hours or more in harsh Himalayan conditions is a Nikon F with standard, umetered prism.

And just for fun...

1. "RF vs. SLR"- I still won't go there because I don't own a rangefinder yet, but hopefully sometime soon I will!

2. "German glass vs. Japanese glass." - Everyone knows that German glass is better!

3. "Cameras that use batteries vs. those that don't."- Batteries are the mark of a civilized society. Why bother with all mechanical cameras when even in the jungles of Guam there are stores that sell batteries!

4. "Treking in the Himalayas" - There is no fun in photographing snow anyway, so why bother?
    Last edited by snegron; 09-13-2007 at 08:38 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Pressed send too soon...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    well... thank god there's subjectivity right? to each their own heaven... there wasn't a single thing I needed the F3 to do that it didn't already do - and do very well... (needed a camera that would take a 28mm shift lens, or a 55 micro nikkor - that could do multiple exposures without error - and that had an accurate viewfinder that I could remove... beat that!)

but - I guess I was never bothered (nor do I even remember) the LCD panel - since I NEVER ever used in-camera metering.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hmm - unless you're taking a 1:1 or 2:1 macro photo, or trying to shoot that bird with a wide open 300mm lens. Choose the right too for the job.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Probably the LCD could have been manufactured better. My first F3HP LCD is having problems and is starting to falter. In super bright sunlight, it is now a bit fiddly to get a perfect reading as some of the characters break up.

If I consider how this camera body has been treated then it is fantastic that anything works. The fact that the LCD is at last starting to fail isn't a problem to me. I cannot remember the amount of times the LCD screen went completely black in extreme heat, but go black it does. It also doesn't work around -30C either, neither does the operator

The F3HP finder is really required if you ever get to use the 15mm rectilinear lens. With this super wide coverage lens it is imperative you see exactly what is available, otherwise you end up guessing wildly.

I have had this lens on my F3HP and FE2 alongside each other for testing purposes, to see if we could use the smaller FE2 body for rock climbing photography. The FE2 viewfinder was woefully inadequate compared to the F3HP viewfinder, the larger body was used.

Mick.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    Probably the LCD could have been manufactured better.
    Actually, I'm pretty sure that the F3 used some of the first generation LCD's. At the time, there probably wasn't anything better.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin