Quote Originally Posted by Drew B. View Post
the film speed ring around the re-wind crank is just there to act as a reminder of what film is loaded. Ok, simple enough. confused by the three different (white, green, orange) places to set the film speed (for that reminder)
The three colours are so you can remind yourself whether you've loaded B&W, colour neg. or colour slide (or use orange and green to distinguish between daylight and tungsten, say, or Kodak and Fuji!)

The clip on meter could be one of two types - if you want to know how to use it you'll have to tell us whether it has a round or a rectangular 'window' on top for the needle. it has a rectangular window...and all sorts of knobs but I just figured out what they are. does the shutter on the camera need to be in a certain spot when using the attached meter?
When you attach the meter you have to turn the 'shutter speed knob' on the meter so that the spring-loaded pin underneath engages with the cutout on the camera's shutter speed dial - you can hear a click when it goes in. Then when you adjust the speed via the meter you are setting the same speed on the camera as well.

Hold the meter shutter speed dial still while you turn the milled ring that is below it till the dot on the ring aligns with the film speed in use shown on the drum below it.

At the back of the meter is a dial marked L OFF and H. Leave it set to OFF to save the battery, then for use set it to H in bright light or to L for use in low light. I can't remember if this meter switches aperture scales when you change from high to low range or not: if it doesn't switch scales for you, use the black scale when the switch is set to H and the red scale when it is set to L.

The meter cell has an acceptance angle of 30 degrees, about equal to the field of view of a 50mm lens. So it is in effect an 'averaging' meter, and may need to be titled down a bit to get a reading thsat isn't too biased by the sky. Well, you know where to point a meter.

Then you just turn the dial to the shutter speed you want, and read off the aperture against the needle. Set that aperture on the lens and you're all set. (Or vice versa.)Remember to turn the meter off again after use.

The battery is a mercury (sorry!) PX625 button cell. In the middle of the L-OFF-H dial is a green button: press this to test the battery. If the battery is OK, the needle should point to the green mark on the scale. The battery is installed under a clip on the underside of the meter: you have to take the meter off the camera to get to it.

is there anything different about how the mirror works...as it seems to lift up when you advance the film (which means you can't look though the finder to view the scene) and when releasing the shutter, the shutter fires then the mirror drops back down again (like it is supposed to)! I guess something needs to be cleaned/lubed/fixed.
That's not right, so you are correct, something needs to be cleaned/lubricated. Sorry, I don't know how to fix this particular problem, but it doesn't sound like anything too disastrous (ie. expensive) to cure.

These old screw-mount Pentaxes are very intuitive, ergonomic cameras with a wonderful selection of lenses available. I hope you enjoy using it.

Peter