Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,279   Online: 888

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pentax S3

Shooter
    Multi Format

Pentax S3

does anyone know about the Pentax S3 slr....from the 70's I think. I picked up one at a yard sale today and is in relatively good shape. There are many knobs and dials and it also has a Honeywell Pentax Exposure meter thats fits on the top. Have to find out how this baby works.

drew
    Last edited by Drew B.; 09-23-2007 at 08:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is the model also sold in the US as the Honeywell Pentax H3 and is very straightforward: set the shutter speed on top, the aperture on the lens, focus and click. Takes auto-aperture lenses: set the 'switch' on the lens to 'A' to allow full aperture viewing and auto stop down and re-opening, to 'M' to view at the taking aperture. At the end of the roll, push in the button on the bottom of the camera and rewind with the crank on top. There is no built in meter: the film speed ring around the re-wind crank is just there to act as a reminder of what film is loaded.

I don't know the dates exactly, but it will be after 1957 and (almost certainly) before 1965.

The clip on meter could be one of two types - if you want to know how to use it you'll have to tell us whether it has a round or a rectangular 'window' on top for the needle. Either way, it's pretty straightforward. I think both types take a mercury PX 625 battery.

My good friend Chris Clarke used one of these Pentaxes with the clip on meter up till he died, and they always make me think of him.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the film speed ring around the re-wind crank is just there to act as a reminder of what film is loaded. Ok, simple enough. confused by the three different (white, green, orange) places to set the film speed (for that reminder)

The clip on meter could be one of two types - if you want to know how to use it you'll have to tell us whether it has a round or a rectangular 'window' on top for the needle. it has a rectangular window...and all sorts of knobs but I just figured out what they are. does the shutter on the camera need to be in a certain spot when using the attached meter?

is there anything different about how the mirror works...as it seems to lift up when you advance the film (which means you can't look though the finder to view the scene) and when releasing the shutter, the shutter fires then the mirror drops back down again (like it is supposed to)! I guess something needs to be cleaned/lubed/fixed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My oldest daughter learned about photography with a H3 and a handheld meter.

Served her well.

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    "I guess something needs to be cleaned/lubed/fixed."
    yup. Lovely cameras. Very well made. I'm shooting with a Pentax SV mostly lately, which is very similar to yours (the same except mine has a self-timer and automatic film counter reset, if I remember correctly). Sticky mirrors are very common on screwmount pentaxs in my experience.

I like to take mine out with no meter at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the H1a, which is a lot like the H3, I think. My mirror only goes up when the shutter release is pushed, so something on yours is likely not quite right. My mirror has been fine (knock on wood), but the winder doesn't always cock the shutter anymore.

Shooter
    35mm
    Here's a good (Roger Hicks) article on pre-spotmatic pentaxs:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by laverdure View Post
    Here's a good (Roger Hicks) article on pre-spotmatic pentaxs:
    thanks all.....but two questions for anyone with a screw mount lens S3..after taking off the lens, does that small movable tab within the camera body at the bottom fit in front of or behind the small lever on the left side? also, the slip on meter: I've looked everywhere and can't find where any battery is put. any ideas?

drew
    Last edited by Drew B.; 09-24-2007 at 11:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Heh! Not done yet! Here's an article I just came across on fixing your mirror problem:

http://www.davidrichert.com/pentax.htm

These things are a joy to work on if you like that sort of thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by laverdure View Post
    Heh! Not done yet! Here's an article I just came across on fixing your mirror problem:

http://www.davidrichert.com/pentax.htm

These things are a joy to work on if you like that sort of thing.
    this model seems to be in pristine condition...and I don't think there are any things sticking. the inside is mint... when releasing the shutter, the curtain and mirror work perfectly. Its just when advancing the film lever, the mirror goes up and stays. I can reach the mirror and pull it down but after letting go, it shoots back up. There must be a lever out of place....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin