Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,235   Online: 843

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: canon advice

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I own an EOS 500, which is very small and light - In fact, so light as on first inspection to seem cheap and slightly flimsy. This is an illusion, as it has stood up well to the heavy use I have given it. There are only a couple of things I don't like about it - The plastic lens mount (although it has never actually been a problem), and the design of the pop up flash. The flash has a small lip that sticks out very slightly, and on a number of occasions I have caught this and yanked the flash up. While this hasn't caused any damage, it can't be good for the camera. It's worth noting that the EOS 5 also has the same design of flash.

A friend has an EOS 50E, which I really like. It seems well built, and it has a rear command dial as well as the front one.

I like the look of the 30 & 33v, and I have used the 33V briefly. they seem generally good cameras.

A while ago, I had an accident with my other EOS 500. I won't go into the sordid details, but basically I put my finger through the shutter curtain
    Thus I went camera hunting, and found an EOS 1N. After thinking for about 2.5 nanoseconds, I bought it.
    The 1N suits me perfectly. As a camera, it is very fast and responsive, and the design is great. The build quality is extremely high, and the grip fits my hand as if it were custom made.
    One feature I haven't used myself, but others might, is the silent wind. This slows the wind & rewind speed down, so it becomes very quiet.
    It is also completely safe with all types of IR film, using a mechanical rather than an infrared counter.

I'm still trying to find an excuse to run HIE through it at 6 FPS...
    Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. :D

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ben-s View Post
    I own an EOS 500, which is very small and light - In fact, so light as on first inspection to seem cheap and slightly flimsy. This is an illusion, as it has stood up well to the heavy use I have given it. There are only a couple of things I don't like about it - The plastic lens mount (although it has never actually been a problem), and the design of the pop up flash. The flash has a small lip that sticks out very slightly, and on a number of occasions I have caught this and yanked the flash up. While this hasn't caused any damage, it can't be good for the camera. It's worth noting that the EOS 5 also has the same design of flash.

A friend has an EOS 50E, which I really like. It seems well built, and it has a rear command dial as well as the front one.

I like the look of the 30 & 33v, and I have used the 33V briefly. they seem generally good cameras.

A while ago, I had an accident with my other EOS 500. I won't go into the sordid details, but basically I put my finger through the shutter curtain
    Thus I went camera hunting, and found an EOS 1N. After thinking for about 2.5 nanoseconds, I bought it.
    The 1N suits me perfectly. As a camera, it is very fast and responsive, and the design is great. The build quality is extremely high, and the grip fits my hand as if it were custom made.
    One feature I haven't used myself, but others might, is the silent wind. This slows the wind & rewind speed down, so it becomes very quiet.
    It is also completely safe with all types of IR film, using a mechanical rather than an infrared counter.

I'm still trying to find an excuse to run HIE through it at 6 FPS...
    interesting...part of the reason I chose the digital rebel over nikon's offering is the latch for the pop up flash is metal as opposed to plastic, which at least in the two stores I visited had broken from people pulling the pop up flash up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bob100684 View Post
    interesting...part of the reason I chose the digital rebel over nikon's offering is the latch for the pop up flash is metal as opposed to plastic, which at least in the two stores I visited had broken from people pulling the pop up flash up.
    Yeowch! Either the nikon is very weak (I find this hard to believe - while I'm not a nikon user personally, the ones I've handled seem well built) or the people yanking them had absolutely no business being within 10 feet of a camera...

The catch on the 500 is plastic, but it's fairly thick. I'd be quite surprised if it broke.

The design of the 50E (and my 30D) is better than the 5 / 500 / 300D, as the flash goes down into a sort of well. the only exposed bits are the top and sides, which being smooth, don't get caught

That is one more reason I like the 1N - there is no internal flash to get abused.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hallo

i use a eos 5 since 1992 or 3. and ist still works well. i took the camera to the sahara, the alps,... no repair .

maybe the eos1 is better. i dont know

ag

thomas

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't think that the older Canon cameras (e.g. AE-1) use the same lens mount as EOS cameras so I would stay away from those.

I have an older Elan and an EOS1v. I rarely use them anymore because I am doing 4x5 most of the time but they are great cameras. 35 mm film cameras are so cheap now on the used market. Just buy a dozen of them and take your pick. Most modern 35 mm cameras have more features than you can remember. As long as it has TTL flash and mirror lock up it should be fine.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ben-s View Post
    Yeowch! Either the nikon is very weak (I find this hard to believe - while I'm not a nikon user personally, the ones I've handled seem well built) or the people yanking them had absolutely no business being within 10 feet of a camera...

The catch on the 500 is plastic, but it's fairly thick. I'd be quite surprised if it broke.

The design of the 50E (and my 30D) is better than the 5 / 500 / 300D, as the flash goes down into a sort of well. the only exposed bits are the top and sides, which being smooth, don't get caught

That is one more reason I like the 1N - there is no internal flash to get abused.
    I would have too except that at the store I work at I set up our D40x display and witnessed the first customer to handle the camera breaking the flash catch by just pulling the pop up flash up....I used an fm2n that I inherited when my parents went to a digital compact, and then an fe2 when a friend put their finger through the fm2's shutter...which was more expensive than a new used camera to repair. Both are built like tanks, the new nikons sure feel nice, but after seeing what happened to the d40x I'm somewhat doubtful.
    Last edited by bob100684; 09-26-2007 at 04:46 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: afterthought

Shooter
    Multi Format

Re Canon advice

Bob,

I use an EOS 33 and am very happy with it. Fair price, solid build, the right shooting modes ASPM, mirror lock up, stop down button, great user interface with large switches and buttons. Metal lens mount.

I use a battery pack which doubles as a vertical grip. This improves ergonomics and makes the camera somewhat heavy, which I consider an advantage in practical use.

Drawbacks are a somewhat loud mirror slap + an assortment of somewhat superflouous features (these are easy to switch off or avoid, though).

I'd recommend you take a look at this camera. The Europe version is here: http://www.canon-europe.com/For_Home...PageID=26025#1 (the 33V is a 30V without the eye control gimmick).

S°ren

Shooter
    35mm
    The EOS 33 (Elan 7-series) cameras are actually one of the quietest newer SLRs for the Canon-mount. It's really quiet and one of the best cameras for concerts and churches.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by film_guy View Post
    The EOS 33 (Elan 7-series) cameras are actually one of the quietest newer SLRs for the Canon-mount. It's really quiet and one of the best cameras for concerts and churches.
    Thanks for all the help, I've narrowed it down to a used elan or a eos3 If I can find one in good condition from keh or the like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like either would be a good choice... Good luck

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin