Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,267   Posts: 1,534,343   Online: 785

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: canon advice

Shooter
    35mm

canon advice

After a couple of years shooting film with an old nikon and digital with a canon drebel, I think its time to go for a canon film body so that I don't wind up having to double the lens collection. Does anyone here shoot with a canon film rebel? I've only handled one a couple times and honestly they felt cheap and light, is the elan a better bet, and how much functionality would I really be giving up by choosing a rebel over the elan or gaining choosing the elan over the rebel?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I had (still have but have not used in a long time) an Elan 7e that I liked alot. I moved up to an EOS3, which I cannot recommend highly enough. I have no experience with the Rebel so cannot compare it to the Elan, but I think you get some extra things like a stop down button on the elan that is missing on the Reb. Maybe a few more shooting modes too.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you for the reply. Somehow I thought one of the rebels had a stop down button, but that would be an extremely nice feature. Does your elan have miror lock up? Also, any advice about a macro lens or which one would be appreciated. I'm looking at the 100mm version but would also consider some of the 3rd party lenses if they are up to snuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Rebel 2000--rather, my wife now has it since I don't use it anymore. It's not a bad camera but I'd definitely consider it a backup instead of a primary. In my opinion, the main shortcoming of the Rebels--digital and film--is the use of mirror prisms instead of glass prisms. Real prisms make for brighter viewfinders.

I would recommend a used Canon. The A2/A2E/EOS 5 models are dependable, lightweight bodies with excellent features. They do have a documented problem with the command dial breaking, however. Also, right now you can get an EOS 1n pretty cheap. It's a full-featured pro model. For a plastic skinned camera, it's heavy, rugged and dependable. I've not used any of the Elan models but I haven't heard anything bad about them either.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively View Post
    I have a Rebel 2000--rather, my wife now has it since I don't use it anymore. It's not a bad camera but I'd definitely consider it a backup instead of a primary. In my opinion, the main shortcoming of the Rebels--digital and film--is the use of mirror prisms instead of glass prisms. Real prisms make for brighter viewfinders.

I would recommend a used Canon. The A2/A2E/EOS 5 models are dependable, lightweight bodies with excellent features. They do have a documented problem with the command dial breaking, however. Also, right now you can get an EOS 1n pretty cheap. It's a full-featured pro model. For a plastic skinned camera, it's heavy, rugged and dependable. I've not used any of the Elan models but I haven't heard anything bad about them either.

Thank you for the advice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    www.keh.com - check their Canon auto focus selection - anything you want from $125 (Elan 7e) to $290-350 for an EOS 3 to $450 for the 1n.

Their 'excellent' grade is, in my experience, close to new and better than almost anything you find on Ebay.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have both the Elan 7N and also the EOS 3, and I started digital photography back when the first Digital Rebel or 300D was introduced. The Elan 7N feels like the 10/20D, while the EOS 3 feels more like a professional camera aka the 1D-series cameras.

I'd go for an Elan 7-series camera over the film Rebel, since it feels much better in my hands. But if you don't mind spending an extra $100-150, I highly recommend going with at least an EOS 3, and if money is no problem, the 1V is a great buy too.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I own the EOS 5, and the EOS 3. The 3 is far better built, and is far more advanced, which is a moot point because I switch off most of the automation. What the 5 has on the 3 is lack of shutter noise. The 5 is as quiet as a mouse while the 3 sounds like a gun going off by comparison. Well, I exaggerate, but not by much!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an Elan 7n and I've never wanted it to do something it couldn't. (If I shot sports, I'd probably want a higher frame rate, but I don't.)

I'm not familiar with the third party lens situation, but I have the 100mm/2.8 macro and am very satisfied with it (one of the only Canon EOS lenses I really like out of the five I own (I got spoiled by starting out shooting rangefinder primes)).

Shooter
    35mm
    If you're going to use a lot of flash, and would prefer Canon's latest flash-system, you'd be better off going with the Elan 7N-series SLRs, since they have ETTL-II, while the 1V and 3 have only ETTL. It doesn't make much of a difference to me, since I only use flash on approx. 5% when I shoot film.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin