Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,508   Online: 718

Thread: Nikon metering

When using my camera (F5) set to aperture priority mode, in low light conditions will often say LO - not enough light to meter. But simply switching to manual mode, in the meter will work fine, indicating in the viewfinder ev scale the correct exposure.

All this happens when using slow film ISO 50-100. I don't understand why is the metering limited in aperture priority mode. Any hints?

cheers

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It's a software limitation introduced by Nikon. They assume that if you are in such low light you should be on manual so you know exactly what you are doing and don't get fuzzy pictures due to camera shake and then blame it on them.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Useful. When I shoot in A mode, I tend to focus more on things like....well...focus. I am not thinking so much about shutter speed. That warning is pretty helpful to keep me from shooting at 1/15 or 1/8.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm
    When I shot with my camera - Nikon F50in A priority it happens the same and in M mode the problem don't exists too. Perhaps it's the Nikon's "beauty"??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that perhaps the camera software may have that limitation due to it taking the films recieprosity into account cause the meter does meter in a linearly

just a guess?
    --Ryan

"The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance." ~Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In which metering mode?
    Matrix?
    I think what the camera is trying to "tell" you is, under-exposure might occur!

Cheers

André

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin