Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,625   Online: 970

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Russian lenses?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    jupiter 8 and a I-22. They are both great lenses, the jupiter is great wide open, soft a dreamy

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the info.
    I missed the bid on the MIR. the auction ended while I was working. I waffled a bit with my decision. No body bid on the lens and it was priced at 12.00 but the shipping was 26.00.
    38.00 is still a nice price. I may write the seller and see if he plans on relisting.

Shooter
    35mm
    In Russian/Soviet lenses in M42 I have 2 Jupiter-9's (an older and a newer one), a Volna-9, and a Helios 44-2.

Both the J-9's are great optically and mechanically - although the older one has the aperture markings on the front of the lens where you can't see them unless you're looking at it dead-on - not sure the rationale there (it doesn't matter much once you get used to *where* the apertures are, though). The Volna-9 is a 50mm macro, which is fun to use really close up (obviously), but is no slouch as a normal lens either. The Helios, on the other hand, was dirt cheap (US$20, I believe), advertised as "working", which is technically correct, but has seen much better days. If there was a coating of any sort it's gone now, and there are quite aggressive cleaning marks on it. This means it flares in interesting and somewhat unpredictable ways But, I actually like the way pics taken with it look, so despite appearances (and the aperture ring is very loose), it was a worthwhile purchase.

I also have a few Leica Thread Mount lenses from the former Soviet Union - the Industar 61 L/D (incredibly sharp and contrasty), the Jupiter-9 again (I haven't used it much, though - the J-9 is mostly a portrait lens, and I can't get the parallax correction quite right on a rangefinder to do the close-up portraits I like properly as yet), a Jupiter-8 I haven't used yet (currently attached to a camera in for repair/calibration), and a FED-50 attached to a FED-2 (nothing wrong with the lens, but I think the camera needs some TLC).

Overall, I've been quite happy with FSU lenses, in particular the J-9 for portraits.

I don't think Roger Hicks has chimed in yet, but in a previous thread his considered opinion was that with FSU lenses "the wider, the worse" was the trend based on his own experience. I've never used anything from the FSU wider than 50mm, and I've been happy with that, so your mileage may vary.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mabman View Post
    Roger Hicks ... in a previous thread [stated] his considered opinion that with FSU lenses "the wider, the worse" was the trend based on his own experience. I've never used anything from the FSU wider than 50mm, and I've been happy with that, so your mileage may vary.
    I have owned (Leica thread) 28, 35, 50 and 135 lenses. The 135 was good, others unimpressive. I owned one 135 years ago. bought another example recently, both good. I also had a 500 mm f5.6 mirror lens, bought new and used for sports - focusing was quite an art, but I got some good results. As with any mirror lens, second-hand examples are hard to judge, since this type of lens is very easy to knock out of alignment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin