Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,515   Posts: 1,572,110   Online: 1106

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KEH ugly lenses

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

KEH ugly lenses

Hi all,
    I just bought an ugly Leica 90mm f/2.8 Elmarit from KEH the other day. When I called them up befoer buying the lens I asked them about it and was told it was only good for parts. After reading many threads here, I decided to take a chance and buy the lens - I figured worst case, I could return it and get the bargain grade lens.
    Anyway, the lens arrived and it's quite good. The barrel looks very good. The glass is not perfect, There's definitely marks on the inside of the lens elements, but I think the only effect would be to reduce contrast a bit.
    It looks to me like if I could take the lens apart, I could clean up the elements quite a bit. Does anyone know what is involved in taking this lens apart? Is it something that's doable or is it best left to a professional?

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't want to be RESPONSIBLE for what happens if you take it apart - but I've taken a few zeiss and nikkor lenses (medium and 35mm format) apart - and really haven't had any problems. Just try to be really aware what you're doing at each point - and especially pay attention to orientations of things you remove. Taking a digital shot of each stage of disassembly would be good.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I don't want to be RESPONSIBLE for what happens if you take it apart - but I've taken a few zeiss and nikkor lenses (medium and 35mm format) apart - and really haven't had any problems. Just try to be really aware what you're doing at each point - and especially pay attention to orientations of things you remove. Taking a digital shot of each stage of disassembly would be good.
    Yes - well I don't really need to take the whole lens apart - just need to get the front element group out so I can get at the inside surfaces. I actually started this - took off the front retaining ring, but when the front element refused to come out, I gave up and put the retaining ring back in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My guess is that you'll need to get your hands on a 'lens wrench' and remove the first retaining ring holding that group in place... at which point it will either unscrew or just pop/fall out.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My guess is that you'll need to get your hands on a 'lens wrench' and remove the first retaining ring holding that group in place... at which point it will either unscrew or just pop/fall out.
    I have a lens wrench and I did remove the first retaining ring, but the lens group wouldn't come out. One thing about this lens is that the diaphragm is right behind the first element so I suspect that first group is attached to the diaphragm and getting it out would involve removing the diaphragm ring.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi - no - I can't see the design being that poorly considered. At this point - you'll have to use a bit of elbow grease and start unscrewing the first group. Look for some sort of means of doing this. Make up a tool if you have to - be creative. It would be downright silly to attach the first group to the shutter or aperture. I'm SURE that's the case.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi - no - I can't see the design being that poorly considered. At this point - you'll have to use a bit of elbow grease and start unscrewing the first group. Look for some sort of means of doing this. Make up a tool if you have to - be creative. It would be downright silly to attach the first group to the shutter or aperture. I'm SURE that's the case.
    That's the thing - there is nothing to unscrew - once the retaining ring came off, all that was there was the front element and the lens barrel - this isn't an LF lens - it's a 35mm lens. I don't think the front element is actually attached to the diaphragm. I think what is going on is that if I unscrew the screws holding the aperture ring on and take it off, I may find that the front of the lens barrel comes off and release the front element.
    I was hoping that with this post I'd be able to find someone who has actually taken one of these lenses apart before.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found with the other lenses there was a gap between the 'barrel' and the front group - and that I had to use a grommet about the size of the diameter of the front element 'frame' to unscrew the front group. There were no lens wrech grip points or anything like that - but I'd bet your lens, dollars to doughnoughts is pretty similar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    maybe you can post a little pic (or a big one!) of what it looks like without the retaining ring...?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've used a rubber bung to get purchase on a element like that. It grips the glass with out marking it. Worth a go though you need to be careful not to over tighten putting it back in

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin