Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,345   Online: 972

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: odd spacing

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

odd spacing

I just picked up a good looking Canon FTb at a yard sale for a price that makes this problem .. not so much of a problem, but I wonder if anyone can give me a pointer as to what's happening with the frame spacing in this camera.

I ran a roll through it as soon as I got it and found that the frames are spaced up to 2 cm apart on most of the roll - much further apart than anything I've gotten on any of my other Canon camera bodies. They are not exactly evenly spaced, but never too close to one another, as might happen if the teeth were slipping on advancing the roll. This is the "QL" version of the FTb, with that little steel flap that takes the film into the take-up reel as soon as you close the back (not electric, merely mechanical.)

Any ideas? Is it adjustable? I can keep just the lens and feel I got a good deal, so... . If I can fix it however, I'd be happy to have a solid FTb body to fall back on once in awhile.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK... No answers. Not to worry, the thing seems to be fine on roll two. I'll write it off to user error, even though I can't see how anyone could screw this sort of thing up -- even me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    OK... No answers. Not to worry, the thing seems to be fine on roll two. I'll write it off to user error, even though I can't see how anyone could screw this sort of thing up -- even me.
    not being familiar with your camera my advice won't be the best, but if you are indeed worried, why not send it off for a CLA. God knows it probably needs it anyway.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I was going to suggest my problem with my Finetta 88 which is so old it has no sprocket counting newfangled device so the spacing starts out about normal (knob only turns 180deg each time) then it gets wider and wider as it goes along, probably up to 4 times (or more?) the normal spacing near the end of a 36exposure roll of film.
    Slightly peeved that the lab I send my stuff off to returned it with some sort of cryptic warning of "faulty wind-on" - it is not faulty, it is special and it is actually designed that way!
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    why not send it off for a CLA. God knows it probably needs it anyway
    bob100684

Probably does, but $20 cameras have little hope of getting CLA'ed in my collection. I do my best with them and then move on. Actually, it seems fine right now.

then it gets wider and wider as it goes along, probably up to 4 times (or more?) the normal spacing near the end
    Akki14

This happens with the Kodak 3A I rebuilt as a 6x14 (120 roll film) camera since I have to count revolutions to advance the film. I could get fancy and remember how much to change each advance, but it always gets away from me.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the feedback, though. I thought I was hanging out there on my own for a bit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you really mean 2 cm? 3/4 inch?
    I have a camera (Rollei 35S, new to me) that has irregular spacing, but only vary by a mm or two. As with yours, the spacing seems wider than normal, but the pictures never overlap, so didn't think much about it.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    This happens with the Kodak 3A I rebuilt as a 6x14 (120 roll film) camera since I have to count revolutions to advance the film. I could get fancy and remember how much to change each advance, but it always gets away from me.
    I have a Polaroid 160 which I converted into a 6x10cm format with 120 film. It has a little label on the bottom telling me how many rotations to the nearest 1/4 it needs per exposure.

As it only takes five shots per roll it's not too bad so long as you remember how many you have used so far.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker View Post
    Do you really mean 2 cm? 3/4 inch?
    I have a camera (Rollei 35S, new to me) that has irregular spacing, but only vary by a mm or two. As with yours, the spacing seems wider than normal, but the pictures never overlap, so didn't think much about it.
    I do indeed mean 2 cm. They were really quite widely spaced. As you say, however, they never overlapped so - no harm, no foul. I have other cameras that space images differently from one end of the roll to another, but the difference is a matter of a mm or two. This was just a bit bizarre. The only thing I can think of is that the take-up reel, a high-tech looking combination of metal clips and plastic, must have gripped the film incorrectly, resulting in a much larger diameter roll than was intended. Far fetched, but I can't figure out any alternatives.

The third roll is in the camera now. We'll see if this is a recurring problem.

Thanks everyone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I sure would have "thought about it" if the spacing were 2 cm. That's half a picture! Mine is only about 1 1/2 to 2 X normal spacing. You must be right about the effective roll diameter. In any case, good luck with it.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have two Canon FTbn bodys Whitey, I have had for more than twenty years that are in constant use and the frame spacing in both of them is 4 m/m , I wonder if you've got the hang of the quick load mechanism yet,( two cm seems a hell of a wide spacing) the way to use the QL mechanism is to pull the film leader out until it reaches the red mark and slip it under the metal tab ensuring that the teeth on the bottom of the take up spool are in the bottom film sprocket holes, close the back and wind and fire the shutter until the counter goes to number one, then gently turn the rewind knob to take up the slack in the film in the cassette. I hope this helps.
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin