Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,193   Online: 859

Shooter
    35mm

Best 52mm Red Filter for B+W?

What's the best red filter (brand, type, etc...) to use with B+W photography, including infrared and SFX-200.

Thanks!

Jon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Most panchromatic B&W film are sensitized till 630-650nm. Most IR 'black' filters are starting up from 700nm.

So an IR filter can not be used for your regular B&W film.
    89B or 88A resp. 695nm/ 715nm are suitable for SFX 200 film.
    E.g. Heliopan RG695/RG715

A regular red filter is suitable for almost all B&W films. Some B&W film (like Efke 25) are almost orthochromatic, so red will be almost black in the grey scaling. So the effect of a regular red filter depends also on the spectral curve fitting of the film.

Best regards,

Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Best? In the subjective sense a #21 or at most a #23. Or the German versions [40??]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What Fotohuis said. I'd add that a Hoya R72 works nicely with both Maco IR and Ilford SFX-200 for an infrared look, IMHO.

In general black & white photography, #21 and #22 are orange-red, #23 is a light red, #25 is medium red and #29 is dark red. There may be a filters designated with numbers 24, 26, 27 and 28 but I've never encountered them.

Brand? Any major brand. The manufacturers may have different designations for the same degree of filter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here some examples with the Rollei IR 820/400 film and above mentioned filters: Heliopan RG715 - SFX/Cokin 007 - Hoya72R

http://gallery.fotohuisrovo.nl/thumbnails.php?album=2

and

http://gallery.fotohuisrovo.nl/thumbnails.php?album=10

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you want a single, all-purpose red filter for both panchromatic and infrared b/w film, a #25 is the most versatile. You will still see the infrared effect with this filter using Kodak or Ilford IR films (although much less with the ilford), and it will transmit enough useable visible light to work with non-IR film. For a more pronounced IR effect, try a #29. This will still work with panchromatic b/w film, but it will cost you four stops, so you'll have to work with faster film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Due to ease of use and availability I’m going to use SFX-200 (I wish Konica’s 750 IR film was still made). But, wait: Rollei makes IR film….?

As far as filters go, I think I’m going to get this one:

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/TF52266/

Opinions?

Jon.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    To get good IR results with the Rollei, you'll need a visually opaque IR filter, not a Red 25 or 29. At least a Hoya R72 or an #87.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    For an inexpensive experiment, look on eBay for seller y2krex. (Rex Wang IIRC?)

He's selling 'German glass' IR (pass) filters with three different cutoff wavelengths. If you don't specify what one you want he's send a random one - you don't want that...

I think the closest cutoff he has to visible light is 760 nm. I gather he doesn't speak enough English to answer many questions but has good feedback & ships quickly - just doesn't communicate much.

The 'cutoff wavelength' is a little ambiguous technically when compared to IR filter specs - typically have 2 wavelengths and cutoff percentages specified.

Best educated guess I could come up with was the 760 nm filter was pretty close to an 87 filter.

I'm pretty sure this is too dark for SFX and that type. It will work with Kodak HIE, which is why I chose it. I got a 49mm thread 760 nm filter in case for $10 + a few dollars shipping).

They get a little pricier in the much larger diameters.

I cheaped out because I have 3/4 box of 4x5 HIE and don't know whether I'll pursue the newer IR films later - name brand IR filters are much more expensive and getting one for 3/4 box of film didn't make sense.
    Murray

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks everyone for the advice!

I ordered a B+W (made by Schneider) 090 ‘Light Red’ filter, which is the equivalent of a #25 filter.

Jon.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin