Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,759   Posts: 1,516,008   Online: 910

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Faster auto focus.

I've been using my Nikon F60 lately mainly because I've developed a bit of an eye infection and it's my only auto focusing SLR. Bought it new many years ago,and it works like a top except the auto focusing is slow & the fps isn't quite what I'd like.
    Any suggestions for a faster Nikon? One that wouldn't break the bank.

Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Not sure what the used camera rates are up there, but in Minneapolis you can get a used F4s for about $300, an F5 for $500 or an N90s for $175.

Keh has N80s for less than $100.

I think on the bang/buck ratio, the F5 is top of the curve but that assumes you have the 5 bones to lay out for a 35mm body (although, it could well be your last if they hold up as reputed).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wonder if Santa shoots with a Nikon?
    An F5 under the tree.That would be nice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How fast are your lenses? That might be part of it.

The F100 will be cheaper then the F5. The F4s autofocus may be slower then the F5 but are you shooting sports etc? If not I can't imagine the F4 slowing you down.

Shooter
    35mm
    The N90s would be a good choice in its price range of under $200. Also keep in mind that fast lenses focus faster than slow ones.

Shooter
    35mm
    An N80 (or F80 depending on where you purchase it) is a great camera. It is compact, light, very advanced in terms of technology, and can be had for little money. I love mine. The only reason I don't use it too much recently is because I'm currently in the middle of a manual focus phase; I have chosen to go fully manual with a meterless Nikon F/standard prism using the sunny 16 rule.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    I wonder if Santa shoots with a Nikon?
    An F5 under the tree.That would be nice.
    I don't think he does Mike, from my experience he mainly uses socks, aftershave and other mundane items.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    I think having a good lens will help more with AF. Primes generally focus faster than zooms, and faster, F2.8 zoom lenses normally focus faster than slower, F5.6 zooms.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The F100 is currently the best bang for the buck in Nikon AF SLR's. You can get into one for ~$250-ish from KEH.

Understand that you will also want to upgrade your lenses if you currently are using the sort of consumer zooms usually sold with the F60.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Another vote for the F100 or N90/s.
    Luke

To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage.

Georgia O'Keefe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin