Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,547   Online: 1116

Shooter
    Medium Format

Nikon F6: something funny in viewfinder

I just noticed that when I look into the viewfinder of my F6, on the bottom part of the screen, there seems to be 2 areas that appear color distorted. It is somewhat like a faint rainbow, like oil on metal with different shades present. I don't know if I can describe it anymore accurately. Has anyone noticed this in their viewfinder, F6 or other recent Nikon SLR? The mirror is absolutely clean.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I haven't seen anything like that on mine, but mine is only a little over a month old.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've noticed something similar on other (non-Nikon) SLRs' i've used throughout the years. I always figured the color distortion was due to a slight "prism effect" with some optic somewhere, bending light in a funny way. Just a guess though.

Jim B.

Shooter
    35mm
    Could be an oily fingerprint on the outside part of the viewfinder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is there anything on your negatives that corresponds to the distortions? You would prefer to have a perfect view for composition and evaluation, but unless it affects your prints it is probably more of an irritation than anything else.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you wear glasses that might be polarized? This actually happens if you use them.

Regards
    Francisco

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have noticed nothing like that on mine. Like mentioned above it could be a fingerprint.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you can see it , it's not on the mirror. Also if it's like a prismatic/rainbow effect, take a look at the focusing screen. Mainly the edge nearest the lens mount. Not being familiar with the F6, does it have interchangeable screens & if it does is there a fingerprint or smudge on the prism above the screen?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    If you can see it , it's not on the mirror. Also if it's like a prismatic/rainbow effect, take a look at the focusing screen. Mainly the edge nearest the lens mount. Not being familiar with the F6, does it have interchangeable screens & if it does is there a fingerprint or smudge on the prism above the screen?
    It does have interchangeable screens, but unlike previous F series cameras, the screen is removed through the lens mount. Replacement screens come with a special type of tweezers to remove it (as far as I know) without touching the screen.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the replies. I'll check the viewfinder tonight when I get home. I will also have to read the manual on how to get to the screen to see if this is the cause.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin