Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,221   Online: 844

Shooter
    Multi Format

Contax RX - opinions?

Been flirting with buying a manual-focus SLR, as I no longer have one that's working. Looked through the usual suspects - OM, FE2, etc. - but I'm curious about the Contax RX. Never heard much about the system back in the days when people discussed such things as film cameras, but I assume the Zeiss T* lenses are top-notch.

For a little over $600, I can get an EX RX body and EX+ 50/1.4 from KEH. Seems like a pretty good deal on a good system. Am I missing anything (like Contaxes falling apart after X years?).

The side-benefit is that I could use the lenses with my dig...cough. Never mind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also looked into the RTS II, but KEH doesn't have any decent ones, and the RTS III is more expensive than an FM3A.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have an RX. I love it. Mine gets pretty light use, but I bought it pre-owned, and it is still kicking along just fine. The optics are of course first-rate. They're the primary reason you buy that system. There are several big reasons to get the RX - the viewfinder, the DFI, and the overall ergonomics. To me, the camera just fits very naturally in the hand, and is very comfortable. All the controls are very sensibly laid out. The DFI (Digital Focus Indicator) is a terrific boost for focusing. You can customize it to show not only how far off your focus point you are, but which side of it (focused too close or too far), but also to show depth of field from your currently selected aperture, so you can play around with hyperfocal focusing (very handy when you need to shift the focus to blur a background when lighting levels require you to stop down too far). Finally, the viewfinder itself - it is a 98+% viewfinder (most of the other cameras you were looking at have a 95% finder, which means that they crop the image to show what the typical minilab print would give you, not what the whole negative captures). It is also one of the brightest viewfinders out there in an SLR.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    My wife and I had one on loan for a year. VERY nice camera. We found the DFI less use than we expected but far from useless. Unfortunately the UK importers wanted more for the outfit than we could afford. Then again, the lenses -- all stunning -- were a 35/1.4, 35PC and 100 makro, so no wonder they wanted a lot of money...
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nowadays, most of the lenses for it can be had at significantly lower prices than they went for when the system was still in production. The 100/f2, 35/f1.4, and some of the rarer lenses like the 35PC and the fast Telephotos (200/f2, 300/f2.8) are still quite pricey, but they have some classic optics that aren't, like the 85/f1.4. I've kept mine if for no other reason than to have a camera on which I can mount that 85/f1.4 .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

I have used the RX for 3 years now.

The best thing about it is that is it extremely well dampened - you don't really feel the mirror slap at all. That makes it really easy to use hand-held.

On top of that, the viewfinder is one of the brightest I have ever seen, and it seems to have just the right size and weight (at least for me).

I do a lot of hiking, and the RX together with the 2.8/45 (pancake lens) + the 2.8/28 are an unbeatable combination. If you REALLY need to travel light, the 2.8/45 with the RX is quite a good package!

Ansgar

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Allthough I sold the RX in favor of a RTS3 and an Aria, I have to say that the RX is really the ideal cross between the two. Solidly made, excellent ergonomics and, as Ansgar said, an exceptionaly well damped shutter. The 50mm 1.4 is a very, very fine lens. 600 dollars for both in good condition seems like a good deal to me. Go for it...

Jaap Jan

Shooter
    35mm
    I've owned and used the Contax RX for nearly seven years and I love this camera. It fits perfectly in my hand, is sturdy and a top quality camera. I don't think the viewfinder is as bright as the Aria but that is because of the DFI. This is a manual focus camera with autofocus elements. $600.00 at this stage of the game sounds a little steep to me. I've seen KEH listings of ex or ex+ RX's for a lot less. In my opinion the RX is the finest camera Contax/Kyocera ever produced, and I've owned a number of models.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Vincent- that was $600 for camera AND 50 f1.4 . Not a bad price at all.

Shooter
    35mm
    I stand corrected TFC. Considering the quality of both camera and lens I guess it is a bargain.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin