Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,174   Online: 793

Shooter
    35mm

Lens damage - is it fungus? moisture?

Hello all,

Last May I purchased a Pentax digital spot meter and have happily used it on and off over the summer. However, just a few days ago I noticed an abnormality in the lens that wasn't there when I bought it (see images). The aberration is not on the external surface of the lens, but seems to be below the surface (possibly in the back side of the lens). Does anybody know what this could be? I'm not sure when or how this happened, but I think it occurred in the past few months. I live in the wonderfully humid area of Washington DC, so it could be moisture related. However, I've never done anything extreme to the meter (i.e. I've never dropped it, spilled water on it, etc), so I really don't know how to explain it. If anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Dan

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1a.jpg   2a.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format

Looks like lens separation

You've got silvery reflective surface combined with rainbow refractions. Compare photos before you noticed this with current photos to see if it's affecting the images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Separation. The newton's rings are a classic consequence.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know for sure but in another view when it turns we can see if it's a girl or a boy.

Seriously, does it look like it's on the outside or inside of the glass? If it stays the same it may not matter as long as you are getting consistence readings. It's not like a lens that can be stopped down though but looks really small at least.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    You are ok it is off to the side and out of the line of sight for the photocell. A new lens can be put in.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Separation. The newton's rings are a classic consequence.
    Agree. Shouldn't be a problem if it is not in the metering area.
    —Eric

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin