Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,505   Posts: 1,543,485   Online: 1004

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another vote here for the 50mm f/2 H. Mine is actually an HC which I believe is multicoated. The one I have was AI'd and I use it on an F2AS. It's a very nice lens, has a classic look to it, and is much nicer than the couple of f/1.4's that I've tried. Of course if you really need 1.4, f/2 doesn't quite work.

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I once had a 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor S•C, an older single-coated lens with the scalloped metal focusing ring. Absolutely the nicest-looking 50mm I've shot with on B&W film. Great look to it - I preferred it to the 50mm f/1.4 Summilux I had for a little bit. I shoot with the 50/1.2 AIS now for the sake of speed and DOF, but I still want the S•C again for B&W work.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugazi Dave View Post
    I once had a 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor S•C, an older single-coated lens with the scalloped metal focusing ring. Absolutely the nicest-looking 50mm I've shot with on B&W film. Great look to it - I preferred it to the 50mm f/1.4 Summilux I had for a little bit. I shoot with the 50/1.2 AIS now for the sake of speed and DOF, but I still want the S•C again for B&W work.
    Dave from what I understand the S was single coated and the SC multi coated?
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hmmmm....it appears you may be right. I could have sworn it was single-coated. In any case, though, it's beautiful with B&W film.

Shooter
    35mm
    A pictorial view of all Nikkor "50" mm lenses is available at:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...kkor/index.htm

Am not certain if you can find the "look" you're interested in from this page. There are, however, ten links which discuss the various lenses.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Nikkors S*C is a sweet 50, fantastic with color in soft even light.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think I've read that the K version Non Ai is the same as the S*C but in comparison, they didn't render the same to me, but my K version might have had some 'issues' that skewed my result. I think the K version on is different than the S series.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kovacs View Post
    I'm sorry, there are absolutely no uncoated Nikon SLR lenses. Closest 50mm Nikkor with a "Germanic look" to the results is the older 50/2. The latest AI version would be a good match for your Nikkormat.
    We're picking at nits as to the difference between "coated" and "not coated" with the former meaning a late 1960's Nikkor which is *multi* coated and preferable to early "coated" lenses which had a single coating on only one element. To say, for example, that a 1959 TICK lens is "coated" is to say little or nothing. The original poster would be well advised to seek an older lens (say an early AI) but would, IMHO, be best off choosing one of the multi-coated, later versions, especially when shooting in strongly backlit conditions.

Early TICK lenses are believed to have no coating, single yellow coat, or single blue coat (all on one of the elements), but not all had a single coating of yellow or blue.

Source, per http://cameraquest.com/nftick.htm

"The early 3.5, 5.0, and 13.5 lenses have a deep blue lens coating. At least the earlier 10.5's have an amber lens coating."

The latest 50mm f1.4 AI lens, as like mine has a rubber focussing ring and is not exactly a "period lens" for a Nikkormat. An early AI lens would be more appropriate and will have a better appearance plus be multi-coated in most instances.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to shop for one of the SC lenses.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When I checked a few days ago, KEH had a couple in stock.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin