Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,657   Online: 747

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Which older Nikon 50mm F1.4?

I'm looking to start shopping for a replacement for my AFD 50mm F1.8 for a more period 50mm F1.4. This to be matched to my not quite recently acquired Nikkormat FT3 that is getting the once over at Essex. Not shot it yet but am waiting with baited breath. Would like to get something with personality like on the order of a pre ASPH version of a Leica M lens. Specifically bokeh is of importance. Will shoot mostly b&w film with just an occasional roll of color. Appreciate any insights. Thanks
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    Would like to get something with personality like on the order of a pre ASPH version of a Leica M lens. Specifically bokeh is of importance.
    With an F-mount Nikon 1,4/50mm? Having used the Cron for several years and still owning and using Nikon gear, let me know if you find a Nikon lens which remotely resembles the footprint of the 2/35mm pre-Asph. The 2.8/55mm and 2.5/100mm Ai are among the better lenses with respect to bokeh but...

Stefan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks Stefan; I'm probably asking for a little too much in retrospect, so lets just ask for some bokeh. I'm sure there's lot's of other lenses I could have asked for a comparison to, I just don't know them. Overall I think personality on the order of say a vintage LF lens might be more appropriate. The 50mm is not really my most used lens and when I do use it I prefer to use it for people shots instead of landscapes.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    There are probably more "improvements" and variations in the Nikkor 50 1.4 lens than any other Nikkor. Many are undocumented. As a general rule, as with all lenses, the older ones aren't as good as the newer ones. For example the earliest 50 f1.4 had no lens coating, other early ones had limited coating, and only the ones from the 1980's and later had multicoating.

My 48088831 is a late AI lens, is multi-coated, and has hard rubber focussing ring. It doesn't have the romanticism of the earlier lenses but looks good on my F2A and is definitely a better performer than older lenses. I've had three or four 50 f1.4 lenses and its clearly the best.

jbj

Shooter
    Large Format
    50 1.4 Ai or Ais are both good, the 50 f/2 Ai or non-ai (H, I think) are supposed to be excellent lenses. 50 1.2 Ai or ais also supposed to be good. Maybe I misunderstood your question.

In terms of bokeh I've heard F/2 > f1.2 > f1.4 = f1.8

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't forget the Nikkor 50mm F2. If it's 'character' you're looking for, it had it, particularly wide open.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbj View Post
    50 1.4 Ai or Ais are both good, the 50 f/2 Ai or non-ai (H, I think) are supposed to be excellent lenses. 50 1.2 Ai or ais also supposed to be good. Maybe I misunderstood your question.

In terms of bokeh I've heard F/2 > f1.2 > f1.4 = f1.8
    Basically I'm looking for a signature or personality; Bokeh, contrast, resolution.

The single coated lenses may be worth looking into. Voigtlander came out with a single coated and multi-coated version of their 40mm F1.4 Nokton for the Leica M mount. The single coated for b&w photography.... Maybe a Nikon lens won't emulate a Leica lens; So the question.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smith View Post
    Don't forget the Nikkor 50mm F2. If it's 'character' you're looking for, it had it, particularly wide open.
    Which version? Ai, Ais etc.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The Nikkor f2 H, is non ai. Nikon made an ai version for a very short period, but quickly replaced it with the f1.8. I'm using a f2 nikkor H, and I really, really like it. Much more than the nikkor ai f1.4 I used to have. Also the build quality is better. The 50mm Nikkor f2 H, is definately vintage like, but if you really want vintage, you're in the wrong system.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ehparis View Post
    For example the earliest 50 f1.4 had no lens coating, other early ones had limited coating, and only the ones from the 1980's and later had multicoating.
    I'm sorry, there are absolutely no uncoated Nikon SLR lenses. Closest 50mm Nikkor with a "Germanic look" to the results is the older 50/2. The latest AI version would be a good match for your Nikkormat.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin