Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,507   Online: 844

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Chipset EOS-M42 adaptors with Elan 7/7E/EOS 30?

I have several M42 screwmount Pentax Takumar lenses (Super-Taks and SMCs) that I use with my Spotmatics. However, I would love to use these manual lenses on my Canon EOS Elan 7E. Iíve read about the metering issues common to this body, and sure enough, my Elan 7E is off by 3+ stops (and not linearly across apertures) if not electrically coupled to an EF lens.

Iíve searched through several photo sites and while there are lots of people using standard M42-EOS adaptors, I havenít come across any discussions about the newer (?) adaptors that are Ďsupposedí to correct this problem. Does anyone have experience with using on an Elan 7/7E/EOS 30 the M42-EOS adaptors that have EF emulator chips? Did it fix the metering defects on this particular body? If youíve had success, I would also appreciate knowing which brand/seller youíre using (there are several available).

I usually shoot in manual, so the stop down function of an adaptor isnít a problem; Iíd just like to be able to meter accurately with these lenses.

Thanks for any info.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I shoot with a plain standard M42/Canon EOS adaptor without a problem, but I don't use the exact same model Canon.

However in your case I would meter with a separate hand-held meter, this would probably be more useful, and cheaper in the long run.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Well I shoot with a plain standard M42/Canon EOS adaptor without a problem, but I don't use the exact same model Canon.

However in your case I would meter with a separate hand-held meter, this would probably be more useful, and cheaper in the long run.

Ian
    Ian,

Thank you for your response. The issues with inaccurate metering using manual focus lens are particular to that flavour of EOS (although from what I've read, perhaps some IIe models as well). I'm not interested in investing in a handheld meter. It certainly would be more costly than a $US 30-60 adaptor.

The chipped M42-EOS adaptors that Iíve seen for sale say that they solve this metering problem. I was just hoping to get some insight from those who have actually used them in the field.

Cheers,

ignatiu5

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm a bit surprised that there haven't been more replies to this thread. This was my first APUG post; perhaps I've framed the question improperly? If so, I would greatly appreciate some guidance from more experienced APUGers.

Thanks,

ignatiu5

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi ignatiu5

I think you may find that there aren't so many folks on here using these adaptors, especially the ones with the electrical contacts. In fact, the ones I've seen advertised seem to suggest that the contacts are for AF confirmation rather than metering. I have a plain Leica R to EOS adaptor and can tell you that there are metering problems with both my recently acquired EF-M and EOS 500 as well as the all singing/ all dancing digi EOS 5D, so I wouldn't ignore Ian's suggestion of a handheld meter. Of course, nowadays it might just be cheaper to buy a second camera body to use as a meter!

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Ignatiu,

Welcome to APUG. If you feel like it, drop over to the introductions thread and say hi.

Technical questions are greatly relished on APUG, so I too would suspect there are not allot of people here using that particular combo, and it may take some time for the right persons to come by the thread.

I, for instance, have no idea, and my reaction is "why would you be goofing around with negatives smaller than a dinner plate anyway?" So better for me to keep quiet, and those who have useful contributions will post eventually.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 11-04-2007 at 11:04 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin