Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,926   Posts: 1,522,129   Online: 881

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For some time now I have been looking around for a small (second hand) 35mm camera with manual override, small enough to fit into a shirt pocket. Of course a Minox comes to mind but from what I have learned from sites like photographyview.com the shutters of those little beauties are not really up to scratch. Any experiences and/or suggestions as to other brands?

Thanks
    Hans

Mmmm, silly typing error in the heading.
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I had two different Rollei 35's. Both the T and the S. Both where outstanding cameras, albeit a bit heavy for the size. But that's the trade off for quality. The T sells cheaper than the S and if I were to buy another one I would buy the T. When making 11x14's from either one, they were equal in sharpness.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Eric, thanks for your contribution. I have got a Rollei 35SE myself but somehow I never use it. Too heavy or too beautiful, who knows.
    Just this afternoon I purchased a second hand Minox 35ML, ran a film through it and it works OK. Really wanted a small camera as during the week when walking through to town I found I had missed some good photo opportunities. So hope I don't forget this Minox on Monday morning.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Of course the Minox came without a manual but - long live the 'Net - I found two interesting sites where they can be downloaded:

www.minoxography.org
    www.submin.com

Worth a visit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Olympus XA (not the 2,3,or 4)

Don't own one but only good has been written about them and if I ever find one in good nick for an appropiate price, I'll buy it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Nige,

I tried to find an XA but they seem to be rather scarce around here. However, I bet I'll see one in a shop window next week.

THE BEST "COMPACT" IS THE LEICE M7 WITH A 50MM SUMMICRON LENS, PLUS A SHIRT WITH A LARGE POCKET

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll second (third?) the XA (disclaimer; I have one), but you have to watch the batteries these days as the modern Li equivalents don't have the same power curve as the originals. There is also no convenient way to attach a filter for B&W work.

This being said, it's spot-on for color, and can correctly expose Ektachrome 100 in backlight. I also have an Agfa Isolette, which while not 35mm (6x6 cm on 120), is pocketable.

Olympus 35 RC. It has more features than a Leica and it is cheap on eBay.

See: http://www.ph.utexas.edu/~yue/misc/35RC.html
    John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, the Minox seemed to suffer from this innate ailment: faulty shutter. Too expensive to have it repaired. I now have an Olympus XA, bought on the internet for € 20.-. Fine lens.
    On the other hand I will take up your suggestion of the 35RC.
    Thanks

Hans

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin