Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,233   Posts: 1,532,914   Online: 988

Thread: New old F4

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

New old F4

I became re-introduced back to the joy of shooting film by a spur of the moment decision to buy a F100 last year. Well a year later now I'm finding I like film more and more.

One of the frustrations of course is that fact that I only have that one body. Naturally if I put in iso 100 film ... I want to shoot in some dark environment next and vice versa. So I've been looking for another F100 and I saw a great copy at the local shop. But next to it was a decent shape F4s. Mine has the split image focusing screen and I hope to find a few more and perhaps the fold up waist level viewfinder. The modular aspect of this camera is a fantastic thing to have.

Now I remember the F4. I was shooting canon by then ... but what a lust object. So despite the lack of solid logic ... I got it.

It's like a trip back in time. I've only shot one roll with it so far but it has been an eye opener. The controls of the "old" way ... so far are a struggle. I hate the interlocks. Not for being there but for being hard to find at this stage and being hard to press. I guess I have to get used to it. The solid feeling is marvelous on the other hand.

I have a few questions that I can't seem to find an answer to. I have an SB800 and SB600 and thought that I could use those, independant of which camera I was using in wireless TTL mode. The F4 supports TTL ... but I can't make the SB600 fire from the SB800 when mounted on the F4. Is that the way it is ... or am I just not doing something right?

The feature I have the most problem with are the full stops in manual mode. For slide film where a more exact exposure is desired ... how do you gents get around full stops. Do you use the exposure compensation to fine tune it? It seems a slow way to work .. but I can't think of any other way. Perhaps aperture preffered is to be preffered in that sense but the exposure lock button is a pain to reach for me ... and I wish that there was some way that it would lock exposure without having to keep the finger on the exposure lock button. Is there? The finger gimnastics are a bit tough for me.

I know I will have to get used to this machine. I love the solid feel of it, and the little things like how slick the film transport mechanism feels and can see why some rave about the F4 the way they do.

I've got quite the learning curve ahead of me and I'm looking forward to it - to spending "quality time" with my new old gem. It is almost like owning a piece of history and still a top notch camera. Wish me luck. :-)
    Oh ... and .... any tips would be appreciated.
    To find the answers .... Question them!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel+ View Post
    I have a few questions that I can't seem to find an answer to. I have an SB800 and SB600 and thought that I could use those, independant of which camera I was using in wireless TTL mode. The F4 supports TTL ... but I can't make the SB600 fire from the SB800 when mounted on the F4. Is that the way it is ... or am I just not doing something right?
    You are doing everything right. The wireless mode only works with the top of the line Digisnap "Cameras". I have a Nikon and an SB800.

By the way, did you send out the 120 film to me yet?

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The full stops are only in the shutter speeds, the aperature ring is infinately adjustable. Exposure compensation won't do a thing except to bias your meter in manual mode. If you set the shutter speed and aperature then that's what the film gets, no matter where the compensation is set.

For exposure lock, you have to use the EL button, sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel+ View Post

The feature I have the most problem with are the full stops in manual mode. For slide film where a more exact exposure is desired ... how do you gents get around full stops. Do you use the exposure compensation to fine tune it? and I wish that there was some way that it would lock exposure without having to keep the finger on the exposure lock button. Is there? The finger gimnastics are a bit tough for me.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin