Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,751   Posts: 1,515,859   Online: 990

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrade?

Shooter
    35mm
    Auto exposure has blown more great shots than all other foibles combined.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I can't imagine shooting some of the concerts that I've been doing without autofocus and a good spot meter (AE optional). My Canon 1V has been great for it.

Of course, at times, I've had to do manual focus or manual exposure. The spot meter still helped except for the time when the only illumination was a strobe light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mawz View Post
    Why not look for a Spotmatic ES or ESII, which will give aperture priority AE, a hotshoe and also full-aperture metering with SMC Takumar lenses.

Or you can go to any Pentax K mount body with AE modes except for the film *ist or the 2-digit MZ/ZX models, add a K mount adaptor(which Pentax still sells) and use all of your current lenses.

I wouldn't look at Nikon for a Spottie shooter. Nice cameras, but why replace all your lenses.
    Rather than a ES or ESII look for a Chinon CE 4 with a winder. Takes 42mm lens, Apature priority exposure with manual override. the winder is only so- so but a lot cheaper than a working ES with winder. If you really want a newer camera I would look at a Nikon N90s and a couple of zooms.

Shooter
    35mm
    The below is such excellent, level headed advice. AF and AE are indeed tools and therefore options that shouldn't be thought of as replacing thinking and the need assess light and focus. The question should always be: am I getting the results I like and want. If yes, business as usual. If no, what can I do about it? It should be said, too, that AF and AE have learning curves. Prepare for this, should you go there.

Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Markok,

Just about everyone here is older than you and so just about everyone has gone through a learning curve that just about everyone here thinks you must go through to.

If you can afford an auto camera - get it. But don't give up on your manual gear because of it. Instead, carry both. Load one with B&W and the other with 'chrome or color neg.

Play around with both cameras.

I think you will find that you will develop a "desire" for one or the other for different purposes at different times.

A good life is never an "either/or" choice. Rather, it is a series of options where you have the independence and presence of mind to choose what is best for the given circumstance.
    What would Dziga Vertov do?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin