Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,820   Posts: 1,581,648   Online: 871

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Upgrade?

I was wondering if I should upgrade my pentax spotmatic to something newer, eg automatic Nikon?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Probably better to learn with the Spotmatic than switch to an automatic camera. What do you think you're missing with the Pentax?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Spotmatic is a great camera. I learned on a Spotmatic II. Wish I still had it.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The spottie forces you to use your brain rather than the camera making decisions for you. As for the lens quality, Super Taks are second to none. I'd say stay with the spottie.
    If you want something different, try medium format. Borrow a TLR from someone and give it a try.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Automation. I like manual, but when I go to shoot downtown, for street, it is easier to have a auto camera. I also don't really like having to have a flash bracket.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depends what you mean by auto. The Nikon FE is aperture-priority automatic; the FA is both aperture/shutter/program. More recent models like the F100 are all that, autofocus, plus fancy matrix metering etc.

Meters are easily fooled when the light is complex; sometimes doing the decisions oneself is easier. Personally I'm good with sunny f/11, f/5.6 for the shade.

I'm myself switching from Pentax to Nikon (FM2n), but only because I'm using my SLR more and more for work, and it helps to be in a standard system when I have to rent extra equipment. Lens quality is in the same ballpark, but Nikkors are easier to find than good M42 lenses.

PS: If it's the flash bracket that really annoys you, I have a Spotmatic F for sale...
    Last edited by Michel Hardy-Vallée; 11-05-2007 at 09:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Markok,

Just about everyone here is older than you and so just about everyone has gone through a learning curve that just about everyone here thinks you must go through to.

If you can afford an auto camera - get it. But don't give up on your manual gear because of it. Instead, carry both. Load one with B&W and the other with 'chrome or color neg.

Play around with both cameras.

I think you will find that you will develop a "desire" for one or the other for different purposes at different times.

A good life is never an "either/or" choice. Rather, it is a series of options where you have the independence and presence of mind to choose what is best for the given circumstance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    Automation. I like manual, but when I go to shoot downtown, for street, it is easier to have a auto camera. I also don't really like having to have a flash bracket.
    Might be a real good move for you to make. For that kind of work, you'll probably wonder why you waited so long.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks, and I was looking at a 1992 [I think] F90. It is styled older than my friends F80, why is that?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Why not look for a Spotmatic ES or ESII, which will give aperture priority AE, a hotshoe and also full-aperture metering with SMC Takumar lenses.

Or you can go to any Pentax K mount body with AE modes except for the film *ist or the 2-digit MZ/ZX models, add a K mount adaptor(which Pentax still sells) and use all of your current lenses.

I wouldn't look at Nikon for a Spottie shooter. Nice cameras, but why replace all your lenses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin